Help figure these weights - (pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

Utah

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if some of you could help guess the weights on these two steers I have. The previous owner could not remember when they were born. Hopefully, the background can give you a reference for their size. The first two pictures are of the same black steer, and the second two are of the other black baldie.

Thanks!!

steer1a.jpg

steer1b.jpg

steer2a.jpg

steer2b.jpg

Guessing 475 for the baldie and 525 for the black, hope you didn't pay too much for them, the black looks a bit cow hocked.
Both look as if they haven't had enough to eat.

Good Luck

Both of these were in a pen with another of the same size when I bought them. And yes, they were underfed when I bought them.

However, they have had access to 3 rotating pads of very green irrigated pasture with 1/3 clover. And, I have supplemented them with good alfalfa. I watched them gain quite a bit the very first month.

The seller and I had figured they probably weighed about 425 plus or minus back in April - that was over 4 months ago. or about 135 days ago I think.

More comments are appreciated!!

bigbull338":2t8hh92j said:
the blk calf looks like itll go 600.blk wf looks like 500 to me.scott
Didnt mean to out bid you bigbull sorry :oops:This might be like the price is right gameshow what do we win? :p JHH

Oh...sorry about that. Been a long day fishing and didn't read the whole post...580 for the baldie and 605 for the black.
Only one fish...just in case anyone was wondering...DMc

610 # on the bald face steer 650 # on the black steer.Are you going to weigh them so we will know if we were even close?

I have never been good at guessing, but here goes. I'll just use round numbers. The black one is 600 and the baldie is 500.
That looks like a big horse in the background. He almost looks like he has Clydsdale in him. He has some really long legs!

I love the mountains in the back ground. I would never get tired of seeing that when I walked out my back door.

Yep, that horse has some draft in her - she is also mustang, not mine but my friend's horse. Boy can she eat!!

And you all must be far off from the actual weights - I need to get better pictures because I believe these weigh about 800 for the Black Horned, and about 725 for the Baldie. But I don't have a scale close by. I will try to get some locals to give me a better idea.

Thanks all for the help.

I'm not good at guessing weights, but by looking at the pics neither one of them look like calves that I've seen that weigh 800 pounds... my guess would be that they weigh between 550 and 600 each.

I guess I'm fortunate as my boss has a weight scale and the local feed store has one as well.

Latest posts