HELP Eye problems (pink eye???????)

Help Support CattleToday:

dillardangus

Reaction score
I have angus cattle and till about 2 years ago never had pink eye. the last 2 years i have vac for it and had it in every animal. i dont think it is pink eye. for instance i have 2 calves with it and have come down with it in the last few weeks. i am in middle tenn and the flys are gone. any idea what this is????

For what it is worth....Years ago I had calves and they had pink eye. Where or how they got it I'll never know. An old cowboy that did odd jobs for me treated the calves by injecting canned Pet condinsed milk just under the hide,not in the meat. I don't know the science involved but it cleared up and didn't reappear.Has any of you heard of such a remedy.

I'm with dun on this (as usual).

Cloudy eyes do not always mean pinkeye, could be a simple irritation as suggested, could be IBR, etc. Additionally, while the pinkeye vaccines are formulated differently each year -- they do not always necessarily carry the proper combination to fight the strain of pinkeye that is in your area.

For pinkeye --> the cloud will appear in the center of the eye

IBR and irritation --> the cloud will usually appear off center of the eye

Just my experience and observation.

When there was something not right about the eyes...be it excessive tearing, eyelids drooping with gunk coming out the sides, cloudy looking...whatever, we'd shoot mastitis medicine in the eye. For the most part, it took care of whatever the problem was. In fact, I can't think of a time that it didn't. Maybe we just got lucky.

Alice

When it comes to cattle or calve's eyes, I am not that hesitant to treat it as a non specific infection, whether it be pink eye, irritation from chaff, etc. I would do some kind of treatment to prevent infected ulceration in any case. it is not a hard or expensive preventative to possibly forstall vision issues. It's always treated pretty much the same way.......cream, liquid, or injected antibiotic in the eye. Sure beats the possibility of blindness. :cboy:

The other thing is this...............are they eating forage/hay from a place they have to lift their heads and possibly get junk into the eyes?

If it is pink eye La 200 and take the needle out of the syringe and shoot penicillin into the eye this works well for me.

It does start with a little tearing and then overnight the eye turns solid white. not just in the center like normal pink eye. I am in middle tenn and we just went thru a summer of no rain or grass. my pasture was picked down to the nub so it is not likely anything getting in the eye. I will try to get a pic and post. also what is the IBR going to look like.

If it were my animal I'd already have given it a load of LA200 just as the eye turned white.
If we get a excessive tearing for a day or two I flush the eyes with over the counter eye wash...has cleared up some irritation problems.
Just my two bits worth....asked for or not...Dmc

hillrancher":wpgigelh said:
If it is pink eye La 200 and take the needle out of the syringe and shoot penicillin into the eye this works well for me.

the active ingredient in LA200 is oxytetracycline and not penicillin, but it does work. Cloxicillin is a better choice than penicillin for pink eye.

Any dry cow intra mammary injection that contains cloxicillin and tetracycline combination works really well when used as an ointment in the eye.

Some of my friends flush the eyes by spraying the eye with canned de-icer. They have the stuff on hand year around. Can buy it real cheap in the spring. They are firm believers.

De-icer? wow not so sure about that....that surely is using a product off label! Not sure I would be brave enough to try that one..........

But I do know folks that toss salt into the eyes to clear up the white ulcer if not to late..............but I know that has to burn like crazy too! :cboy:

KNERSIE":26gvtlpf said:
hillrancher":26gvtlpf said:

the active ingredient in LA200 is oxytetracycline and not penicillin, but it does work. Cloxicillin is a better choice than penicillin for pink eye.

Any dry cow intra mammary injection that contains cloxicillin and tetracycline combination works really well when used as an ointment in the eye.
knersie inject the LA200 use the Penicillin to whash the eye.

My brother has a bull that developed pinkeye. I spoke to my vet. He discouraged putting anything into the eye that is not specifically designed for the problem, and said to give the bull 90cc LA200 injected normally in a different spot each injection. Repeat in 48 hours. It worked, but slowly. Fortunately he is a gentle bull, as he was too thick to fit in the squeeze chute/headgate. We worked him between two stock panels right behind the squeeze chute.

hillrancher":306o7ttq said:
KNERSIE":306o7ttq said:
hillrancher":306o7ttq said:

knersie inject the LA200 use the Penicillin to whash the eye.

Oh I see, I misunderstood the first time.

About 5 years ago I got a load of stockers that gave me pink eye fits. Seemed like every RWF or BWF calf was coming down with it. I tried everything. LA200 worked but it was pretty slow. IF you had a really steady hand you could give an injection of penacillin under the first membrane of the eye and try to cover with a patch. The patches never seemed to stick for long. I did try and get them to a place out of the sunlight though.

The best remedy I found after spending alot of $$$ and time was......Mortons Iodized table salt. My uncle (in his 70's) heard me complaining and told me to take a handfull of table salt and rub it in their eye. The iodine kills the pink eye and the salt irritates it to flush the eye.

Im not a vet but the salt seemed to work faster than anything else.

Good luck

Jay

Latest posts