HELP! can someone please HELP????

Help Support CattleToday:

chrisy

Reaction score
I have two Louisiana cat fish in the freezer and don't know how to cook them the Southern way, can someone please tell me how? I tried an Oriental way but it was gross and it saw the bottom of the bin I don't want to waste the next two. So please help me out…Thank You.

you will need a pot big enough for you to submerse the fish in hot 360* to 375* grease. get you some fine corn meal. You want to salt and pepper them then just roll them in corn meal. put them in the grease and allow them to cook till they float real good. You will need some cheese grit, cole slaw and sweet pickles and wash it all down with sweet tea if you want it to be a southern meal.

EDIT; Hushpuppies are also needed

What M5farm said. I might add French fries.
And I recommend ketchup on the fish, if you like ketchup. And on the French fries, and on the hushpuppies.

what are Hushpuppies? as I only know them as shoes! and I take it that cheese grit is grated cheese? please excuse my ignorance as I am only a Southern English gal.

These are hushpuppies:
hushpuppies.jpg

Here's what they look like cooking in a skillet:
7270849_f260.jpg

I've never tried this particlar recipe, but it might make it easier on ya.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/miss ... ecipe.html

Ingredients
Hushpuppies:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 green onions, chopped (stem and all)
Buttermilk
Peanut oil

Catfish:
2 cups yellow corn meal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons coarse black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
Granulated garlic and salt
2 cups whole milk
Dash hot pepper sauce
4 Mississippi pond raised catfish fillets
Peanut oil
Directions
Hushpuppies: Mix first 6 ingredients in mixing bowl. Add buttermilk as needed until batter reaches a thick, mashed potato-like consistency. Refrigerate for 45 minutes to 1 hour before using. Heat peanut oil to 325 degrees F. Using 2 teaspoons to drop the batter, dip the first teaspoon into water and then fill with hushpuppy batter. Use the other teaspoon to rake the batter into the oil. Cook for approximately 4 minutes until golden brown. The hushpuppies should roll over in the oil by themselves. If they do not, you may have to turn them.

For the Catfish: Put first 6 ingredients into a large brown paper bag. Roll down the top and shake until well-mixed. Cut catfish in half lengthwise. Pat dry with paper towel. Mix milk and hot sauce. Dip catfish in milk bath, put in paper bag with breading and shake until covered. Place catfish into pot with about 4 inches of peanut oil heated to about 325 to 350 degrees F. Cook until brown and firm, about 6 to 7 minutes.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/miss ... c=linkback

Cheese grits. Grits are ground corn, cooked by boiling water. Grits are best when a little salty. Some folks like to add cheese to them but I think it just ruins them.

LRTX1":nto7v0kr said:
Cheese grits. Grits are ground corn, cooked by boiling water. Grits are best when a little salty. Some folks like to add cheese to them but I think it just ruins them.
Thank you for that. Ground corn here is called Polenta. only ever used it to roll fish in and fry. will try that.
and thank you to everyone else for the suggestions as I have two fishes I will try them both.

Rafter S":1tt6rdm7 said:
What M5farm said. I might add French fries.
And I recommend ketchup on the fish, if you like ketchup. And on the French fries, and on the hushpuppies.
I don't mind Ketchup but I don't like french fries (as we call them chips) those hushpuppies look nice so will use ketchup on those.

Be sure to taste things without the ketchup first. I think it has a way of overpowering the natural flavors. Personally, I use tarter sauce on the fish. This is the basic recipe:

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
3 tablespoons chopped onion

Let set 6 hours or more.

From my quick research fine Polenta is the corn meal needed for the fish and hush puppies. Grits would be the course polenta. But the ole interweb says that the larger stores in the UK have a international section and you should be able to buy GRITS.

slick4591":22q58xom said:
Be sure to taste things without the ketchup first. I think it has a way of overpowering the natural flavors. Personally, I use tarter sauce on the fish. This is the basic recipe:

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
3 tablespoons chopped onion

Let set 6 hours or more.
Thanks slick…same here I love tarter sauce on fish and salads. and I take what you say not to use ketchup. I usually only use the stuff in ground meat recipes i.e. shepherds and spag bol.

M5farm":7k9gnu1c said:
From my quick research fine Polenta is the corn meal needed for the fish and hush puppies. Grits would be the course polenta. But the ole interweb says that the larger stores in the UK have a international section and you should be able to buy GRITS.
Grits is only in the porridge section and is nothing like polenta here, as I tried it before for making something else. thanks for that though.

chrisy":2xdafywc said:
I have two Louisiana cat fish in the freezer and don't know how to cook them the Southern way, can someone please tell me how? I tried an Oriental way but it was gross and it saw the bottom of the bin I don't want to waste the next two. So please help me out…Thank You.
You go now. We'll make a Southerner out of you.

Are the fish whole or have they been filleted. You might post what shape the fish or in and then let everyone give you instructions from there.

hurleyjd":3ihk25f7 said:
Are the fish whole or have they been filleted. You might post what shape the fish or in and then let everyone give you instructions from there.
Where does a catfish ate in England come from? Fresh water?

Hook":27q726hd said:
There's only one way to do catfish. Filet and fry
Actually I like them steaked better. I like fillet, just like steak a little better, but you might not eat them if someone isn't familiar with the bones.

Latest posts