HELP! can someone please HELP????

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never eaten syrup with my fish, but I can remember my grandparents eating it with fish. I like coleslaw, hushpuppies, and pickles with mine. Used to eat chile sauce with them, but have not made any in years. Also pear relish is good. My mother-in-law used to make it.

greybeard":1ounrayi said:
Ryder":1ounrayi said:
My cook agrees with this with possible slight modification.

1-After patting dry with paper towel, coat with mustard to rid of strong "fishy" taste and improve overall taste. You can skip the milk bath.

I've heard of people who did it this way, and even tried one's person's fried red snapper he coated in mustard before cooking.
Tasted like burned mustard, and so did the hushpuppies.
I'll save the mustard for hot dogs.
I suppose it's personal preference, but want my fish to taste like fish.

I agree GB. I like my fish lightly dusted with corn meal and salt and lite pepper. I like to be able to taste the fish, especially with crappie or walleye. I hate to say this on a beef forum but I would rather have a plate of walleye or crappie fried than any steak I have ever ate.

I

jedstivers":3tf0179l said:
chrisy":3tf0179l said:
British have fish and chips. Is the fish in this dish fried with a batter on it. Might just use that recipe/quote]
no I wanted some thing different from plain old fish and chips fish. thanks all the same.
How is the fish cooked in England?
Fish is cooked in many ways, depends on what fish it is and how you fancy it, it can be fried, boiled, baked, or steamed, smoked, bbq'd or stewed, with sauces and with batter,
as I say I remembered having it in a restaurant in Louisiana and liking it, saw it in the fishmongers and thought I would try it, cooked it as I often do Salmon, Sea Bass or Trout, wrapped in a grease proof paper and silver foil parcel baked in oven stuffed with lemon grass, scallions, lemon juice, bay leaf and a few pepper corns, it didn't taste right so it hit the the bin, next time I will fillet and fry as suggested.

Well, now that everyone has peed on your leg and told ya it is raining here is how we cook it in Louisiana.
Fried fish is southern.
Blackened is pure Louisiana.

Recipe for Blackened Catfish Recipe Ingredients:
6-8 catfish fillets, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup butter, melted
lemon juice
Cookware and Utensils:
1 cast iron skillet or large heavy skillet
1 mixing bowl
1 spatula
Recipe Instructions:
As always the key to great cooking is to be prepared and to use quality ingredients. Rinse catfish fillets under running cold and then thoroughly pat them dry with paper towels. Make your seasoning mixture by combining crushed dried thyme leaves, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika in a small bowl. Brush melted butter lightly over catfish fillets and sprinkle with blackened seasoning mix. Repeat for other side. Be sure to completely coat each fillet. Heat iron cast skillet until it is very hot, about 10 minutes. Pour the leftover butter into your skillet. Carefully place the catfish fillets into the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes on both sides. This blackened seasoning mixture will produce plenty of smoke in your kitchen, so another way to tell when to turn over you fillets is when the smoke turns gray. Serve blackened fillets over a bed of white steamed rice. Add lemon juice to the top of each fillet.

JW - I loved blackened, but I think we was more talking typical southern fried catfish. I have moved around the South a lot. Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, West Tennessee, Mississippi and maybe some others have the same method. Carolinas have catfish wrong as do northern states. And its what Mamma made me growing up. We mostly had steaked until recently eating more fillets. It's just dusted in cornbread mix with salt and pepper and deep fried. Me, I want fresh pond raised, not frozen from China.

Again, I love that Cajun Blackened and I thank God we got the great state of Louisiana, its people and its food.

JWBrahman":xoh5d07y said:
Well, now that everyone has peed on your leg and told ya it is raining here is how we cook it in Louisiana.
Fried fish is southern.
Blackened is pure Louisiana.

Recipe for Blackened Catfish Recipe Ingredients:
6-8 catfish fillets, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup butter, melted
lemon juice
Cookware and Utensils:
1 cast iron skillet or large heavy skillet
1 mixing bowl
1 spatula
Recipe Instructions:
As always the key to great cooking is to be prepared and to use quality ingredients. Rinse catfish fillets under running cold and then thoroughly pat them dry with paper towels. Make your seasoning mixture by combining crushed dried thyme leaves, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika in a small bowl. Brush melted butter lightly over catfish fillets and sprinkle with blackened seasoning mix. Repeat for other side. Be sure to completely coat each fillet. Heat iron cast skillet until it is very hot, about 10 minutes. Pour the leftover butter into your skillet. Carefully place the catfish fillets into the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes on both sides. This blackened seasoning mixture will produce plenty of smoke in your kitchen, so another way to tell when to turn over you fillets is when the smoke turns gray. Serve blackened fillets over a bed of white steamed rice. Add lemon juice to the top of each fillet.

I usually turn it when the smoke alarm starts screaming...

Greybeard I always take the battery out when cooking, as it annoys me when it goes off, must remember to put it back before bed.. :?
thanks for the blackened recipe will try that, have to go to get some more fish for all these wonderful recipes. ;-)

Latest posts