Help! Calf won't lead!

Help Support CattleToday:

missbehavin24

Reaction score
We have a 300lb market calf for a fair at the end of May. This calf REFUSES to lead. He straightens his front legs and plants them until finally he'll just flop over in the dirt and looks dead. Getting him back up is a chore as well. We've tried everything from using the cattle dog to using a hot shot. He doesn't care what we do. He just lays there in the dirt! My son can drag him for a mile and he STILL lays there. Anyone have any tips or ideas to get this calf walking?
Thanks so much!

When he falls down, cover his nose with your hands so that he can't get any air. He'll hop back up ASAP.

You might want to check your halter. Rope halters will get tight around the nose when pulled on it. Some calves won't tolerate it. You may need to tie a knot in it so that it doesn't squeeze so tightly on his nose.

Personally, if he were mine, I would tie him up in a stall (low enough that he can lay down, but short enough that he can't get tangled up) 24/7. Have his water source outside where you have to lead him to it.
Once you get him to the water. Tie him up for a little bit so that he will drink. While he is drinking, clean his pen and put his feed tub next to where you tie him.
Lead him back to his feed. Be sure to pick up the pan when he is through eating. Do this twice daily. We have halter broke 2 year old Hereford bulls using this method. Good luck.

Just a quick question. Is he a dairy steer?

Do this twice daily. It may take several weeks, but he will associate going with your son with good things. Right now, leading means bad stuff and he is resisting.

tie a rope to the barn rafter then a 14" car tire inner tube and another lead rope and clip to the halter you want pressure on his head at all times food and water needs to be close. after a few days his head will be sore and will lead no problem.

LOL sim...that's what he looks like. Its so frustrating.
Thank you sooooooo much chippie! We are going to start on your ideas today. I just told my son the other day that I wondered if it was the halter because it stays tight. Yes he's a dairy calf. He's just a little market calf for the dairy class. Their maximum weight limit is 400 pounds. He's really nice and I hate to give up and not take him to show. If you go over 400 pounds they bump them to the feeder steer class which happened to us last year. My son was so embarrassed because he had a 100% dairy calf that weighed 431 pounds in the feeder class competing with 100% beef calves that all weighed just under 900 pounds. Well his little calf beat them all and won Supreme Champion Feeder Steer LOL This calf shouldn't go overweight and like I said he's really nice so we really want him to go but we just can't get him walking. Thank you so much once again. I'll keep you all updated!

You have to teach him to give to pressure, or you are fighting a losing battle. With our babies, we start with a halter that slides easily under the chin. You can buy rope haters with a metal ring that the lead slips through, or if you already have a rope halter then you can get a c clamp and use it the same way. The point is, when the calf gives to the pressure, the tension on his chin releases. Once you have the proper halter, use the "give and take" method of training. We find it easiest when we stand behind the shoulder area, and give a little tug toward us, the calf eventually will walk into the pressure, then reward with a scratch or just relax for few moments. You can never out pull a calf when they get bigger, so teach them the right way from the beginning and it is so much easier...

Well part of your problem is that he is a dairy calf. Dairy cattle are notorious for laying down. We were at a Dairy Days watching a heifer class. One heifer had had enough and laid down. Like a row of dominoes, all of the heifers laid down. It was quite a sight. 10 kids dressed in white looking shocked at their heifers on the ground.

We have halter trained quite a few dairy calves. Another trick that works well is halter break them like a colt with a butt rope. When the calf pulls back, pull on the butt rope to move it forward. My daughter makes a loop in a separate rope to lay across the rump and holds both leads in the same hand.

Sort of like this, but with a cotton rope and the loop tied with an overhand knot (not a rope with a loop as pictured)

31022-proper-application-of-a-butt-rope-pict0042.jpg

butt_rope_side_view.jpg

Good luck with the little guy!

We tried the butt rope trick in the beginning and he just pulls his back legs up under him and flops over in the dirt. He is soooooo stubborn! We've never had this problem before so my son is quite frustrated. We did try the holding the nose trick when he lays down and it worked! Thank you so much! I appreciate everyone's help and will try all of your ideas. Something has to work!

When you use the butt rope, your don't try to drag him along with it. Use a firm steady pressure when he pulls back to hold him up. You don't keep the pressure on it all of the time.

Have you tried keeping him tied up 24/7 and leading him to his water and food?

I agree with Fire Sweep Ranch, the breaking halter with the ring is the best for training to lead, it makes a big difference. I also agree with chippie, tie him and make him walk to feed and water, gives them a reason to lead. The thing is to not get in a tug-o-war, they win, pressure, release, pressure, release, another reason to not let them drag a halter, teaches the wrong thing.

We haven't tied him yet. We're making progress. We fixed the halter so that it doesn't pull tight like it was doing. We tried the pull release pull release and after he takes a few steps he gets rubbed on. Its been 2 days and he's getting better and better. We've even made it through both days without him flopping over in the dirt at all!!

We just got our son a ABC (Brangus). Gentle and lets you tie him up easily. Will follow you around the world and back with a hand full of cubes or green grass. Loves brushing and rinsing as well and will just stand there with no problem at all. Let's you put the halter on him as well with no issues. Grab the rope and try to lead him and it's both front feet planted hard and won't go anywhere. Won't turn, won't move his head, won't even swing his tail. Almost like he suddenly becomes a 630 lb statue. We have tied him up and all. No luck. Not a good eater so I've been a little hesitant to tie him up 24 hrs taking the food away. I haven't tried the butt rope but I think this one will be too stubborn for that to work, but I'll try it. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Update: Today he is walking like a pro like he never had a problem. No resistance from him at all and no flopping over in the dirt. Thank you all so much for the help!

missbehavin24":301pf70b said:
Update: Today he is walking like a pro like he never had a problem. No resistance from him at all and no flopping over in the dirt. Thank you all so much for the help!
:clap: :banana:

missbehavin24":2jccydsx said:

Hooray!!!
JC_hurrah.gif

jrgrtx":zs8r5kx7 said:
We just got our son a ABC (Brangus). Gentle and lets you tie him up easily. Will follow you around the world and back with a hand full of cubes or green grass. Loves brushing and rinsing as well and will just stand there with no problem at all. Let's you put the halter on him as well with no issues. Grab the rope and try to lead him and it's both front feet planted hard and won't go anywhere. Won't turn, won't move his head, won't even swing his tail. Almost like he suddenly becomes a 630 lb statue. We have tied him up and all. No luck. Not a good eater so I've been a little hesitant to tie him up 24 hrs taking the food away. I haven't tried the butt rope but I think this one will be too stubborn for that to work, but I'll try it. Any tips would be much appreciated.

You shouldn't keep food in front of him all of the time. Show cattle need a schedule and they do well with one. Feed him twice daily and pick up any feed that is not finished.

He needs a reason to walk with your son and the longer he gets away with his behavior, the harder it will be to get him halter broke.

Really, tying him in his pen (which is necessary training because when you take him to a show, he will have to be tied 24/7) probably will not slow him down. Put his water at the wash rack. Twice a day, walk him to the wash rack to drink and tie him up by the water. While he is drinking, clean his stall/pen and put his feed in his tub by his tie spot. Take him back to his feed and you can use this time to brush and groom him. Give him time to eat and pick up the tub when he is through. it may take a couple of weeks, but he will realize that walking with a person is a good thing.

This plus the other recommendations will help you get him halter broke. It is best to do this now because all the work that you put in him is worthless if he can't be shown.

Good luck!

I've learned that they actually eat MORE when they can't eat all day too. We feed ours and then give them 20 minutes to eat. We take away what isn't eaten in that time. They learn quickly that they only have a certain amount of time to eat and eat more this way. Just an idea you might try.

Great suggestions and I'll definately try them. The only reason we kept the food in front of him all the time was because he was not hardly eating at all. If we only gave him 20 minutes to eat, he would have gotten nothing. However, we've changed his feed up and now is eating so we'll try this. So no water or feed in the pen at all all day? Also, should we keep a flake of hay or so in with him? Thanks everyone.

Yes. No food or water. You can give him hay after his afternoon/evening meal. You want hom to be hungry and thirsty so that he will walk with you to get to his water & food.

I greatly appreciate the tip. We are definately trying it. Take care and God Bless.

Latest posts