Help--calf scours?

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
We've had several calves born the past few days. One or two have had mustardy-colored and textured stools---not watery per se, just sort of the color of light mustard and the texture of mayonnaise (sorry for the condiment references! Hope you're not eating a sandwich!). We took the temp on one and it was fine. Haven't gotten the other's yet. Both seem relatively fine; eating and bouncing about, then crashing for a couple hours. I will take a closer look for signs of dehydration (eyes, skin etc) tomorrow but am wondering whether it's really "scours" if it's not watery? Ok to just continue to watch closely?

Interestingly, the one that seems to have it more persistently (born Sun am and has had it yesterday and today) is the one we think got lots of colostrum. But she is energetic and nursing.

This is just our second calving season (and we only had a couple last year) so are still learning the range of "normal." Neither of our 2 last year did this. Thanks!

Unless it's hitting the ground 5 feet behind them I wouldn;t worry.

Just keep on watching them but if they do get pretty runny dont hesitate to treat them. We found out the best thing that works for us to treat them with are those sustain III boluses.

Most of my calves, have the same looking poo those first days of their life. As long as they're not down, not nursing,sickly looking, I wouldn't worry about it.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":1l4clyd6 said:
Most of my calves, have the same looking poo those first days of their life. As long as they're not down, not nursing,sickly looking, I wouldn't worry about it.

Katherine

Thanks Katherine! They are pretty lively and kicking up their heels, so I guess they can't be feeling toooo puny! Got two more due tomorrow. We've had 4 heifers in a row.

It is not uncommon in new born calves to have a stool that is a mustardly color, if it is not runny it should not be a problem. This comes from the colostrum in the mama's mild cleaning the stomach and intestines. It is a common. If it gets runny then beware. Take them away from the others. All the stool they put on the ground will contaminate the other calves and it will spread like wildfire. Isolate them for the other ones safety.

Latest posts