Help--Band Slipped

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Hi,
Had an Angus bull calf born July 9. We banded him shortly thereafter but were concerned, so when we did vaccines this weekend, asked the vet to check it. Sure enough, he had a nut left. Bigger problem is that per vet, he has a herniation and so she can't do a simple castration but would need full anesthetic, etc, and it's not worth it. (She wasn't sure about the genesis of the herniation. I understand they're common? Sounded like she thought it unrelated to the botched banding).

So, we need to find him a new home before he can breed our (registered) heifer calves. Questions:

1. What is the "no way in heck can he breed before age ____" age? Is 6 months safe? 7 months? (I know 9-10 mos is too long and we'd have to lute everyone). We would like to keep him through weaning if safe (we can't really keep him separated from the heifer calves).

2. I have read that butchered bulls taste bad. True? True but only for older bulls? (At any rate, I hate to butcher him at 6 months. Wouldn't get much meat anyway). He's grass-fed, FWIW.

3. Sale barn prices are way down but I guess we could run him through and take our lumps. If we decide to go that route, would you let him nurse a couple more months? Will we get docked for the nut? It's not at all obvious but I assume experienced buyers would know.

Any advice or other ideas appreciated, thanks! I just hate the idea of butchering him so young, seems like such a waste...

I would keep him till hes about 490# then id just load him and sell him and take the lumps.Weaning would be the least of my worry with him.

I've heard people say that because the remaining nut is so close to the guts, it stays too warm and reduces/eliminates fertility. I don't know if it's true or not. I did buy one like that once, and whether it's coincidence or not I don't know, but he never did breed a cow though he tried a lot.
Just me, but I'd keep him until 5-6 months old and take him to the sale.

A while back we missed one, named him One Nut. We also ended up with a bred heifer. When the vet castrated the remaining nut (subsequently changing his name to No Nut) he said it was possible for him to breed and he was right around 7 months.

TCRanch":1c57k7uz said:
A while back we missed one, named him One Nut. We also ended up with a bred heifer. When the vet castrated the remaining nut (subsequently changing his name to No Nut) he said it was possible for him to breed and he was right around 7 months.

:clap:
:D
Good story on a bad Monday

TCRanch":3ilpzx3q said:

Good data point, thanks.

Latest posts