Heifers What's your opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
501.jpg

502a.JPG

503.jpg

514.jpg

The first three are just a year old and the last one was an orphan at one month old and in the pic she is 4 months old and weighs 350 lb

The first one looks nice..maybe has a little bit of a late start to her tailhead, though.

The second one...I don't quite know the term for it but she looks a little funny up over her shoulders and its hard to tell from the hair but she might be a little weak in her flank.

The third one looks like she might be a little roach back (again, could be hair) is borderline hatcheta$$ to me.

The fourth one looks a little swaybacked and weak in her flank, and is definitely a hatchet a$$.

Despite the minor faults, they're still pretty decent calves. Good luck with em. :cboy:

Nice heifers. Look a lot like the five I kept over this winter. Red Polls around the world are remarkably uniform in the way they look due to the lack of other blood being crossed in.
Like your set-up but I'll take our green Kentucky hillsides.

I like the first 2 the best, the third is weak in the rear end and the fourth looks like she may be good, I would let her get older before making a decision on her though.

Just an opinion, but they all have the same issue that we slect against, high tail head.

dun

alacattleman":glyv6462 said:
dun":glyv6462 said:
Just an opinion, but they all have the same issue that we slect against, high tail head.

dun
is that because of future calving problems dun? i noticed that myself.

The possibilty of caving problems/fertility

dun

dun":11d46zml said:
alacattleman":11d46zml said:
dun":11d46zml said:

dun
is that because of future calving problems dun? i noticed that myself.

The possibilty of caving problems/fertility

dun

Don't think these girls will have any fertility or calving problems.

Dun:

Trying to learn something today. What is the correlation between high tail head and fertility and the reasoning behind it. Please explain the ideal tail head location for fertility. Probably asking a stupid question, not the first time, not the last.

Thanks,
CW

well speaking from what i have read and seen the tail head is the angel the calf will present from the the birth canal not the vulva and will some times hang up without help its like a malpresntation as for as fertility more than likely the same reason.

They are nice feeder heifers. But maternally they are all too short in the hip and too shallow in the pelvis.

My opinion only.

alacattleman":3bsthtvn said:
well speaking from what i have read and seen the tail head is the angel the calf will present from the the birth canal not the vulva and will some times hang up without help its like a malpresntation as for as fertility more than likely the same reason.

A high tall head can indicate a tilted pelvic arch and a a birth cananl that is lower at the cervical end. This allows "mung" for the lack of a better term to collect/pool at the vercix.
These are all mays/cans/coulds, but it's an easytrait to eliminate through selection.

dun

Well, I think you saved the best for last. I think the little heifer has a lot of potential (especially bottle raised!). Don't like the tail set on any of the yearlings. 1st one appears to be the best of the 3 - but appears pretty post legged & fine boned. 3rd one is also fine boned & post legged and weak in the rear quarters. Decent depth.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1yutmmty said:
Well, I think you saved the best for last. I think the little heifer has a lot of potential (especially bottle raised!). Don't like the tail set on any of the yearlings. 1st one appears to be the best of the 3 - but appears pretty post legged & fine boned. 3rd one is also fine boned & post legged and weak in the rear quarters. Decent depth.

I think you are right...the little calf is going to surprise some folks. People can't believe she was an orphan

Thanks for the comments

Latest posts