Heifers w/ cough

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl

Reaction score
I have 2 bred heifers w/ a cough and yellow and white snotty noses. The nasal discharge is only in the morning. Temps are good and they are eating good. Our weather in Ohio has been rain almost everyday for 2 weeks and in the 70's one day 30's the next day. any suggestions? This is the 3rd day, hardly any coughing. knock on wood!!! Hate to treat them, if not needed, since they are bred. Thank you

Why treat them? They have a cold, if they're sick they'll go off feed and have that look. The changable weather frequently causes minor colds. This is one of thsoe keep an eye on them kinds of deals.

dun

As long as they are eating and their temps are okay don't treat them , keep an eye on them and if there's problem then treat them.

We are just comming off our seasonal drought and all the heavy dust caused some runny eyes and coughs this summer. Now we've had a few days of rain and hard freezes and mild days...more morning coughs.
The cows will let you know when they are feeling poorly...watch for a change in behavior, ears back and head down, and fever and they may want to stay away from the herd all by themselves and of course going off their feed.
Right now they sound pretty normal to me.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

Thank you for the replys,heifers are still snotty but less coughing, just a few, mainly in the morning. Weather still crappy, high winds, rainy 39 degrees. Eating and temps good, cold weather is an adjustment for humans and animals alike. Keeping an eye on them. Have a great day!!!11

Latest posts