Cough.

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I noticed my herd start coughing about a week ago. It's amounted to nothing more than a dry cough. No other symptoms. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Kassi

Dry & dusty can definitely cause a cough. But I would watch them to make sure it doesn't segue into pneumonia. Look for snotty nose, maybe goop in their eyes, droopy ear(s), picking at or going off feed, laying down more than usual, lagging. Trust your gut because you know your cattle and if something doesn't feel right, I'd start by taking their temp.

How old are the animals in question? Cows, calves, weanlings, yearlings?
Your post reminds me of my weanlings after being taken from Mom. They bawl and there is some coughing. A snotty nose here or there, but not an outbreak.

Dry & dusty can definitely cause a cough. But I would watch them to make sure it doesn't segue into pneumonia. Look for snotty nose, maybe goop in their eyes, droopy ear(s), picking at or going off feed, laying down more than usual, lagging. Trust your gut because you know your cattle and if something doesn't feel right, I'd start by taking their temp.
It's been so awfully dry and dusty here in northern Ca. I check on them morning and evening and it has amounted to mothing more than just a cough. I have been looking for other symptoms such as snotty noses, droopy ears and eyes, and going off feed. They look great and are eating great too. Maybe just the awfully dry dust we have had. I do have feeders for them but some flakes end up on the silty dust so that might be the culprit too now that I think about it.

I have a few steers, some cows and heifers and bred heifers. But no weaning or introduction of new animals has happened. I am starting to think it's the dust because it has been so dry.
How old are the animals in question? Cows, calves, weanlings, yearlings?
Your post reminds me of my weanlings after being taken from Mom. They bawl and there is some coughing. A snotty nose here or there, but not an outbreak.