heifer's udder problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Sodfarmer... it's been proven that flies are responsible for a large portion of mastitis cases in young heifers, especially prior to breeding. I don't remember the statistics, but I did read an article where researchers tied fly tags to the tails of pastured open dairy heifers, and it significantly reduced the cases of mastitis compared to a control group without fly tags. Something like 20% in one group vs. 80% in the other group.

coolpop":1gt3ndbm said:
I'd like to ask "why rule out edema??"

With edema you still have milk coming out of the quarters, they are just swelled. Usually it contains a lil bloody with edema. lasix works for that. This sounds more like dead quarters, especially with no milk, and no swelling of the quarters involved.

GMN

we've had 1st calf heifers with edema so bad - no milk came out. We took warm water towel compress to help ease the swelling and lessen the amount of grain (or cut them out of grain completly) for a few days - the swelling would go down, milk would come in nicely.

Coolpop...gangrene mastitis is just the opposite. 15 minutes ago she gave 50 lbs. of milk in one milking. Now she has nothing but blood coming out the tit. The stuff is very aggressive and can kill a cow while you're scratching your rear and thumbing thru Merck's manual.

Latest posts