Heifers leg

Help Support CattleToday:

Wilson_Cattle_Company

Reaction score
Manchester, Oklahoma, In a Saddle, ridin' rodeos,
Mornin Howdy fellers,

Hope everybody is havin' a Happy Thanksgiving.

We have a bred heifer that got hold of something in the pasture and she whacked her leg wide open. Took her to the vet week ago come monday he just told us to keep it open and to wash it out with water and give her pen. once everyother day. It sure ain't gettin' no better. What would you guys do?

I really don't want to pick at it deep mabye take some of the surface flesh off I put some Furazone on it and some Fureall doped her with some pen. yesterday. Looks like its gettin' worse. Swelling is bad took her temp. she was fine.

IM000083.jpg

IM000082.jpg

IM000081.jpg

IM000080.jpg

Pretty dark in the workin' barn, sorry I couldn't get any better pictures.

I could not get your pictures, but had a bull with a real bad cut several years ago. Used water hose and washed it out three times a day sometimes more than that. I then used a povidone iodine solution 10% povidone iodine, 1% titratable iodine. Squrited it in the cut with a spray bottle. The cut healed after about 14 days of treatment. Hope this helps.

lcupit":12aeno17 said:
I could not get your pictures, but had a bull with a real bad cut several years ago. Used water hose and washed it out three times a day sometimes more than that. I then used a povidone iodine solution 10% povidone iodine, 1% titratable iodine. Squrited it in the cut with a spray bottle. The cut healed after about 14 days of treatment. Hope this helps.

Thanks! You can't see my pictures?

The vet told us to wash it out but Dad was afraid of water getting behind the hide. Its real bad and I hope to hell she don't go down.

I will try to fix my picture problem.

Thanks again,

Avery

Boy, that sure looks nasty. I'd hydro the tar outta it. I've had that treatment work wonders on horses, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on a cow, you're doing everything else right for it. Squirt water on it hard for 15-20m mintues a day. She's gonna love you for it, but its amazing what it will do.

TR":20v95coi said:
Boy, that sure looks nasty. I'd hydro the tar outta it. I've had that treatment work wonders on horses, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on a cow, you're doing everything else right for it. Squirt water on it hard for 15-20m mintues a day. She's gonna love you for it, but its amazing what it will do.

Thanks TR I will give it a shot.

Yeah, it is a heck of a cut. She was bouncing around in the chute and got it bloody Its a hydraulic chute and is the size for working feeders/stockers she had a hard time fittin...guess thats what made her skitty and got her to bouncing around. I tried to get some pictures when she didn't whack it open again.

Thanks Burno...... I might sound like a sissy but ain't that gunna hurt her?? LOL we become attached to animals easy....

cept for that possom I just found on the back porch.... I went on the back porch on my way outside and I found the door open.... I heard a hissing sound I got to lookin round....there was a possom sittin in the window looking right at me...he looked upset LOL... I grabbed some of my weldin' gloves grabbed him and tossed him outside and Dad beat him with a shovel!

I was never to concerned about their feelings, just how much thiner my wallet was going to be.
Big difference in me and a lot of the weekenders on the board cow is an employee has to work to stay and you don't accumlate sick leave here.

Caustic Burno":rm09r67d said:
I was never to concerned about their feelings, just how much thiner my wallet was going to be.
Big difference in me and a lot of the weekenders on the board cow is an employee has to work to stay and you don't accumlate sick leave here.

Yeah I agree with that. I will give it a shot just hope it don't hurt her to bad LOL

Thanks

Where's the cut located on her, Avery? can't tell from the pics, but it looks like a back leg, maybe over the hock or slightly below on her cannon bone...? If it's near the hock you may be able to wrap it so it stays clean. I'd probably clean it well (water and possibly scrub w/iodine solution) and then wrap. That way you won't have to mess with her every day - which, given your description of the chute, may be detrimental to healing. Food for thought anyhow.

Note on the furazone...it's not "exactly" legal to use on food-producing animals...

milkmaid":1oqxiapb said:
Where's the cut located on her, Avery? can't tell from the pics, but it looks like a back leg, maybe over the hock or slightly below on her cannon bone...? If it's near the hock you may be able to wrap it so it stays clean. I'd probably clean it well (water and possibly scrub w/iodine solution) and then wrap. That way you won't have to mess with her every day - which, given your description of the chute, may be detrimental to healing. Food for thought anyhow.

Note on the furazone...it's not "exactly" legal to use on food-producing animals...

It is located between the hock and flank. It is hard to get a bandage to stay on cause it slips down. The vet said to just irrigate it and leave it open , but we were concerned about flies and screw worms. We treated it today and left it open and it looks a lot better also used some spray to help repel flies.

Have you figured out what she got hung up on to make such a nasty cut? I'd sure be wanting to get that out of the pasture what ever it was to prevent more injury's. Hope she gets better!

That's a rough looking cut. The advice about about the kerosene will keep the cut from being so sore for one thing. The povidone iodine will help keep infection down. I would have thought a place that big would have been partially stitched up and left a place to drain. Good luck with it Avery.

the heifers cut is getting better everyday. Just been washing it with a hose and spraying iodine on it. It doesn't seem to bother her she stands real calm while we are working on it. Maybe cause she knows she gonna get hand fed cubes if she is a good girl. :lol:
how would one mix the kerosene and sulphur mixture? Was thinking of trying that but wasn't quite sure how to go about it.
still don't know what she cut it on. i figure she was spooked by some deer or hunters and ran into something.
bif

Pack it with sugar or honey. It will decrease infection and swelling. It's too strong for bacteria to live. Also, there are products such as cothilyne which will cause wound contraction which will speed healing. Iodine, furacin, sulphur etc will SLOW not speed healing...

Thanks Vicky!
Never heard of using sugar. The only thing that might concern me would be flies????
But the weather is finally cooling off enough that they should not be a problem.
Thanks again
bif

Latest posts