Broken leg

Help Support CattleToday:

beefgirl

Reaction score
Lost a 400 plus pound calf today. Broke his front leg with bone coming through. Decided to put an end to his suffering and salvage what I can for the freezer. I have no idea how it happened. Lost a 300 pound calf last year right around this time. Ended up being paralyzed in back end and couldn't get up. Just plain bad luck I guess.

that sucks.. it does happen, lost a really nice calf that got stuck in a shrub, 500 lbs, seriously dehydrated, I tubed him for weeks, and he was physically OK again but had lost all notion of how to eat or drink.. was really strange
Hope your luck turns around!

I've had a cow slip on ice when mounted by a bull that ended up paralyzed in the back end. Something like that could explain the calf last year. Sorry for your bad luck.

that sucks.. it does happen, lost a really nice calf that got stuck in a shrub, 500 lbs, seriously dehydrated, I tubed him for weeks, and he was physically OK again but had lost all notion of how to eat or drink.. was really strange
Hope your luck turns around!
Thanks for putting it down early. There are some who let them fend for themselves.
I can't stand to watch an animal suffer especially when I know the end result will be the same. It's not an easy thing for me to do but I know I did the right thing and he's no longer suffering so that helps.