Heifers going to hills for winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Runaway Deere

Reaction score
Finally got winter ground, girls just went this morning, perfect timing its raining like crazy now. We can now stop feeding yaaa! I will try to get pics when I figure this out

i dont know how to use this site yet but have a real question...i got a herfer bull he will be a year old jan6th and is about 600 lbs..it says in bookd to feed 2.5 % of body weight..so that means 15 lbs,,, is that with sweet feed and hay and pasture?? or just in feed????.i dont want to over feed, and he got lush fields for the winter there is 68 acrs for the winter and other roating feilds for later and is eating about 1 bale of hay

11 month old bull weighing 600 pounds sounds really small. The '2.5 % BW' rule is for hay not feed. Feed should be a supplement of protein and energy to make up for what they are lacking. You have to be careful with young bulls because if you feed them too rich it will make them sterile. If he has lush field and some dry hay, you shouldn't have to feed anything extra.

If all you have is one animal on that 68 acres the he is bluffing you to thinking he is hungry, at least for us cattle always like our food better. We feed in winter only and start feeding when they give us dirty looks when we walk by. Right now I have 12 heifers on winter ground of 40 acres and they are popping right now

thank you so realy all he needs is the hay and pasture and maybe a cup or two of feed as a treat? i want to do right by my ozzie this coult account for the roung look he has in his mid drift ? im then feeding him too much sweetfeed?

I would consult a local for sure, we are pretty far away. I still stand by what I told you above, but geographies are different, hope this helps.

Latest posts