Heifer's First Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I heard a statement the other day that "as a rule of thumb" a heifer's first calf (if it's a heifer) should not be kept to build up my breeding numbers or as a replacement. I would like to have some input on this. What are the pros and cons on this issue. I've got a heifer with her first calf (a heifer)and the calf looks darn good to me and would like to keep her if it is the smart thing to do.

[email protected]

The reasoning behind this is that some will breed a heifer with an inferior bull just to give her a small calf at breeding. If this is done, the calf may not have as good genetics as subsequent breedings of the dam would. If a good bull was used, then resulting calves should be every bit as good whether out of a first calf heifer or a cow. The calf's genetics would be the same.JMHO

I think some of this stems from the fact that a heifers calf will generally be a little slower growing and smaller as a calving two year old then one from a cow. More groceries from the cow = better growth to weaning, generally. If things are done right, the calves should have the best genetics in the herd, why not use them. The bull studs frequently use bulls from heifers, I think it's because of the genetics. If there was something wrong with using first calf heifers first calves if heifers you can bet the major studs wouldn't be gambling on the bulls from the same situation.

dunmovin farms

> I heard a statement the other day
> that "as a rule of
> thumb" a heifer's first calf
> (if it's a heifer) should not be
> kept to build up my breeding
> numbers or as a replacement. I
> would like to have some input on
> this. What are the pros and cons
> on this issue. I've got a heifer
> with her first calf (a heifer)and
> the calf looks darn good to me and