Heifer's first calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Conagher

Reaction score
I would appreciate your opinions with explanation on retaining a heifer's first calf; either as a herd bull or replacement heifer.

Thanks!

While it is true that a heifer is an unknown as to what she will actaully do, you should have a feel of her potential. Depending on the bull she is bred to, you can get a good idea what the calf will do. Some nicks work, some don;t. If the calf is the type you want to keep and it meets it's expected potential if the dam and sire are what you want to propogate in your herd that makes them a candidate for retention.
In the past, people would frequently use a junk bull that threw tiny calves with no real potential just to get a heifer fresh. Those are the calves that aren't anything you would want ot keep no matter how good the calf appeared to be.

dun

Conagher":370zxyzl said:
I would appreciate your opinions with explanation on retaining a heifer's first calf; either as a herd bull or replacement heifer.

Thanks!

It depends on the animal. We breed our heifers to a calving ease bull which often equates to a lighter muscled calf. That calf might or might not be the kind of animal you want for replacements.

most heifer calve's dont grow as well as there 2nd. plus the calf pull's the heifer down thats why i pull them off a little green to let the heifer catch up. some heifers handle motherhood better than others.I dont raise reg. stock but a heifer bull can be useful in certain situations

We've kept heifers from first calvers. It is true that they are usually not their best calf but some of them can still grow up to make some good cows. If the calf is the quality and size you want then keep her. Don't give her any special treatment on whether or not you keep her but I wouldn't necessarily throw her out because she's a first calf either.

It depends on if she was AI'd or not. Alot of the knowledgeable breeders claim the best way to improve your herd is through a heifer AI program.

I use feedlot performance when determining whether I keep a heifer's first calf. Since the calf likely won't do as well on momma, I try not to pay much attention to growth before weaning. However after its on feed, its true genetic potential should show.

Rod

The bull or heifer calf should be better than the heifer herself since we are trying to improve our herd with each mating. Now to actually keep or ship is dependant on many things. The dam's fertility, mothering ability, structure, temperment, legs, etc. Same goes with the sire and the calf itself. Take each animal on a case by case basis and don't disregard one because it's out of a first calf heifer.
We have a heifer out of a 1st calver in our replacement pen right now. She's a beautiful girl that is due to have her first AI calf in April.

I agree with Got Cows. If your breeding program is working the younger the cows the better they are. I know there is exceptions but as a group younger should equal better from a genetic standpoint. Also those calves out of your heifers as said before won't perform as well. This doesn't mean that they aren't genetically superior animals. Phenotype=genotype+enviroment. The tricky part is accurately handicapping the calves. I like the idea of putting them on feed. That would give you a better view of your situation. So many variables. I wouldn't rule out retaining them.
good luck

Merry Christmas

Latest posts