Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan":l8vlthr4 said:
Rustler9":l8vlthr4 said:
She has the characteristics of the Longhorn breed that we are breeding for.

The characteristics you are breeding for are evident.

Personally, I would say she is fine boned. Eventhough she is only 6months old, I would like to see some more depth of body. But she does look like nice, sound heifer. Kudos on the horn growth.

Ryan

Ryan, you said this a little earlier. But that picture of that longhorn is what a longhorn is supposed to be. You like deeper bodies, well then you should look at another breed. (i.e. a red angus) Cause honestly...when I first saw that pic, that's what I thought it was. I agree with something someone said earlier...if you come out with a calf like that, you shouldn't register it and breed it for show. That's how you end up with show calves that look nothing like the breed.. like my simbrah example earlier. Again, I do like the heifer. Just if it were my herd, I would use her for commercial only.

TLBAA members, to true longhorn breed lovers, are known for rigging up their herd with crossbreeding. this goes back to the Butler herd, the "almighty longhorn savior"- sorry, but its known that butler didnt care if his LH crossed with his brahma, which likely happend.

you want to know what real longhorns look like, check out http://www.ctlr.org

this organization is dedicated to the original, pure longhorn breed. For the longhorn qualities to be maintained, not exploited, as some do with their "massive horn growth longhorns" that look like watusi horns(check my pic to left and compare with top modern longhorns) on a brahma neck and head. Breeding a decade for a horn length and nothing else is a waste of time, driven by greed and short-sighted foolishness.

Many "Modern" longhorns are quite a joke in my opinion. Big horns, yes, but as for keeping the only useful tool (their native genetics, hardiness and longevity) handy for cattlemen to use, the TLBAA does little besides promote short-sighted fads.

TxStateCowboy":1evofa0r said:
TLBAA members, to true longhorn breed lovers, are known for rigging up their herd with crossbreeding. this goes back to the Butler herd, the "almighty longhorn savior"- sorry, but its known that butler didnt care if his LH crossed with his brahma, which likely happend.

you want to know what real longhorns look like, check out http://www.ctlr.org

this organization is dedicated to the original, pure longhorn breed. For the longhorn qualities to be maintained, not exploited, as some do with their "massive horn growth longhorns" that look like watusi horns(check my pic to left and compare with top modern longhorns) on a brahma neck and head. Breeding a decade for a horn length and nothing else is a waste of time, driven by greed and short-sighted foolishness.

Many "Modern" longhorns are quite a joke in my opinion. Big horns, yes, but as for keeping the only useful tool (their native genetics, hardiness and longevity) handy for cattlemen to use, the TLBAA does little besides promote short-sighted fads.

I certainly agree with your points about the TLBAA and the short-sighted fads. We are members of the TLBAA and we are looking to breed quality cattle, we do not breed for horn. We breed to enhance our cattle, and not get stuck on what the cattle looked like a hundred years ago. Every breed evolves and that is what we are helping the longhorns to do.

Our cattle live off the grass and whatever else is out there. They have to survive in deer hunting country (mostly rocky hills). I can guarantee our cattle are 100% Texas Longhorn cattle. There has never been a non-Texas Longhorn bovine on the property since my dad started working here 7 years ago or since the owner bought the place 13 or so years ago.

Ryan

jaydill":1y9vyr2b said:
Ryan, you said this a little earlier. But that picture of that longhorn is what a longhorn is supposed to be. You like deeper bodies, well then you should look at another breed. (i.e. a red angus) Cause honestly...when I first saw that pic, that's what I thought it was. I agree with something someone said earlier...if you come out with a calf like that, you shouldn't register it and breed it for show. That's how you end up with show calves that look nothing like the breed.. like my simbrah example earlier. Again, I do like the heifer. Just if it were my herd, I would use her for commercial only.

If I like deeper bodies why should I move to a different breed, especially if I can raise Texas Longhorns with deep bodies? Is it a bad thing that the ranch I work for, among others, has improved the breed. Now they are not all the "hatchet-a$$ed," scrawny, boney animals everyone who is not involved with them thinks they are. THere are a many solid red, white, and black Texas Longhorns, should they not registered, I mean we as a breeder have no control over the color of the offspring. You raise simbrahs, I am not trying to be rude, but how would you know "What a longhorn is supposed to be"?

hillbilly":37s0h2ys said:
I think she looks great.
Now if you could just breed the horns off of them you might have sonething.

hillbilly

THanks. Still workin on that horn thing ;-) :lol:

The thing about longhorns is that those who down them most likely have never used them. I havn't heard from anyone on here or heard from anyone period who has used the longhorn breed and been unhappy with the results.

TxStateCowboy":zo8gnbtw said:
The thing about longhorns is that those who down them most likely have never used them. I havn't heard from anyone on here or heard from anyone period who has used the longhorn breed and been unhappy with the results.

I notice a lot of that, too. Or someone has one bad experience with a wild, scrawny, boney, hatchet-@$$ed one and they hate forever.

heyzies! my dad would love that shed , u could stick an x-box in it and stuff, anywayz that animal looks pretty calm, is the entire species clam, or are they agressive, also how much did it cost u (im looking at buying one)

lachlanmann":13vmnzpg said:
heyzies! my dad would love that shed , u could stick an x-box in it and stuff, anywayz that animal looks pretty calm, is the entire species clam, or are they agressive, also how much did it cost u (im looking at buying one)

For the most part Texas Longhorns are calm. As with any other breed or any animal for that matter a lot has to do with how they are raised.

As for cost, we raised her ourself. Actually we raised her, her sire, dam, both granddams, and one great grandsire. She is for sale, though. PM me if you would like more info.

Ryan

Latest posts