Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnman":1m76i2yr said:
Where can I find some solid colored longhorns?

mtnman

If you call the Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America (TLBAA) office and tell them where you are and you are looking for some longhorns they will be able to give you the names and telephone numbers of some breeders in your area. Most breeders will be willing to help you with what you are looking for, registered or non.

TLBAA's number:1-817-625-6241
http://www.tlbaa.org

Ryan

Yes they are 3/4 sibs. It is a pretty close relation, that is why we brought in another bull that is not related to anything on the property. We do not plan on making them this closely related on a regular basis, however it did work well for us this time.

Ryan

Ryan":dw6rif2c said:
Yes they are 3/4 sibs. It is a pretty close relation, that is why we brought in another bull that is not related to anything on the property. We do not plan on making them this closely related on a regular basis, however it did work well for us this time.

Ryan

It has worked out so far, grandpa had one a few years ago that he claimed as linebred till about that age (of yours) then it turned into a mongrel. (sp? :oops: ) But I think that she was a father daughter breeding. She grew wheels fast.

Best of luck and she looks real good.

J":35icaerq said:
Ryan":35icaerq said:

Ryan

It has worked out so far, grandpa had one a few years ago that he claimed as linebred till about that age (of yours) then it turned into a mongrel. (sp? :oops: ) But I think that she was a father daughter breeding. She grew wheels fast.

Thanks for the comments about her.

We have had good luck breeding partail siblings, but we don't do any Father/Daughter or Mother/Son breeding. Little too close for our liking.

Ryan

Ryan":1afr1a4k said:
J":1afr1a4k said:
Ryan":1afr1a4k said:

Ryan

We have had good luck breeding partail siblings, but we don't do any Father/Daughter or Mother/Son breeding. Little too close for our liking.

Ryan

Yeah mine too but that was one of those things that happened before we could stop it.

J":4gjamj89 said:
Ryan":4gjamj89 said:
J":4gjamj89 said:
Ryan":4gjamj89 said:

Ryan

Ryan

Yeah mine too but that was one of those things that happened before we could stop it.

I think my grandpa had that happen once, his bull got into a wrong pen and bred one of his own daughters. Ended up with a bull calf that went across the scales

Ryan, I can see where you are coming from. From what I have read longhorns are a breed with many disirable characteristics. I would love to have a few longhorn cows without the people at the sale barn knowing it.

But

I can see Rustler9's side of the story also. If I was going to have longhorns that looked like an angus breed they would be used for commercial use only. If I was going to register them and have a pure bred registered longhorn herd I would want to have a little bit of horn on a heifer. Not to say that this heifer's horns aren't going to get bigger.

Over all this is a nice heifer especially compared to alot of the longhorns that many of us see today.
Thanks Kaneranch

This heifer is just six days shy of being six months old in the picture. She's also a product of a planned mating of mother and son. I'm please with how she's turning out, she looks white in the picture but has alot of red roan spots coming in to her coat. She has the characteristics of the Longhorn breed that we are breeding for. This picture is of her running with her mother with no creep feeding, just mama's milk and grass. I'm sure there will be those who will knock her because she doesn't look like a big beef heifer but again she has the desired traits of the breed-note that she already has adequate horn for her age.

100_0284.jpg

100_0285.jpg

Rustler9":1m0ogel3 said:
She has the characteristics of the Longhorn breed that we are breeding for.

The characteristics you are breeding for are evident.

Personally, I would say she is fine boned. Eventhough she is only 6months old, I would like to see some more depth of body. But she does look like nice, sound heifer. Kudos on the horn growth.

Ryan

Speaking of roughly 6 months old, no creep, just momma and a little grass. Notice the clean under line (that is the other calf's tail, not her navel) and more than adequate horn.

CLKISSME__CLREDKISS.jpg

D.O.B. 5/9/2005
Date of Picture: 11/15/2005

Ryan

we do have some horns, we're not gonna be winning any horn showcases but they do have horns. She is a nice, big heifer. If I could get the color, size and horns of this heifer on the body of that solid red calf I don't think I could do any better.

Ryan

Here is a new picture of the original heifer. This is after she got her haircut. She is a little stretched out, and make her back look not so good. But I still think she looks pretty good.

sanddollar_redbird.jpg

Ryan

Ryan, That is a "Magnificent" animal. Even though she is not an "Aberdeen Angus", I know many people who would love to own an animal like this.

no longhorn has that much hair. that's the kind of calf that gets a comment like this:
(i was showing against some girl who tried to pass her squatty little club calf as a simbrah at a jackpot show. so the judge says)
THE FIRST THING THE JUDGE SAYS WHEN TALKING ABOUT THE CALF: I hope that thing passes as a simbrah in the future.

now don't get me wrong. i'm not bashin ya. more like takin my anger towards other people out on you. the heifer looks a little more like her breed in the second picture...but i still woulda never guessed a longhorn. just bugs me when i'm showin and i get in a class with something that dudn't look a thing like its breed. please don't take offense!

jaydill

jaydill":2zqb4lsf said:
now don't get me wrong. i'm not bashin ya. more like takin my anger towards other people out on you. the heifer looks a little more like her breed in the second picture...but i still woulda never guessed a longhorn. just bugs me when i'm showin and i get in a class with something that dudn't look a thing like its breed. please don't take offense!

jaydill

No offense taken at all, that is your opinion and I am glad you shared it. Trust me, b/c I know she is all longhorn and comes from superior Texas Longhorn stock.

I would like to know why you think she doesn't look like a longhorn, though? is it the hair? You'd be surprised at how much hair some of these get, drives me nuts. Especially ones that still have a lot of "baby hair" then it starts getting cold outside, hairs grows like crazy.

Ryan

it's a little hard since it's from pictures, but yes.. the hair is one thing. i mean i live in texas and we've got some longhorns down the road but i've never seen that much hair on em. (not that i doubt they couldn't grow it, what with the kind of winter we've been having). in the first picture she looked a little deeper-bodied than most longhorns i've seen. but i think the biggest thing is that she dudn't have any markings on her.. (white spots, etc) which is usually characteristic of longhorns? i think that'd be the one thing that would make me question her breeding if she walked up beside me in the ring. i do like the heifer though, she's got a certain femininity to her that's real nice. also (although it could just be the picture), her head dudn't look as broad as other longhorns i've seen. could just be cause she doesn't really have much horn yet. but this is still a heifer i might like to have in my herd (if i had one, lol).

jay

Latest posts