Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

georgiabob

Reaction score
This heifer will be a year old next week. Would i be asking for trouble if i go ahead and breed her?

Attachments

• 626C4D51-7CE4-48B9-B3CA-744DED6740F7.jpeg
    626C4D51-7CE4-48B9-B3CA-744DED6740F7.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 33
If she is already cycling and you want to breed her, I would use a well proven AI bull with great calving ease numbers. her body condition looks like she can handle the pregnancy OK

It's a little younger than I like to breed them, but as long as it's a calving ease bull and you can watch her close when she is due then it would probably be ok. I've had them calve that age or younger a few times and been ok most of the time. I frequently turn heifers of 14 months in with bulls and seldom have any calving issues.

How much does she weigh? What are you breeding her to? Is the bull a proven calving ease bull? Breeding at 12 months carries more risk than breeding later. Greater risk of needing assistance, greater risk of a bad outcome. Bred to a calving ease bull, most likely will be OK, but risk is greater. Pelvic measurement/scoring might be considered to help ensure confidence.

More heterosis in the mating, the more the birth weight. Bull calf (50% probable), the more birth weight. Fat heifer - more risk. Low BCS at calving - more risk of calving trouble. Just understand the risks and try to minimize them if she really needs to be bred now.

Can you deal with most problems yourself or do you have to call for outside assistance? Are your handling facilities up to scratch to handle any problems? These are things I would be considering along with what has been said. I have joined them at pretty much that age and got away with it.

Ken

Better have her in good condition going into 3rd stage bred so you don't have to feed her much other than grass or hay. That'll help keep birth weight lower.

@simme and @wbvs58 nailed it. Without providing information other than she's almost a year old and a picture, there's no way to answer your question but they provided very useful information.

My heifers are pelvic measured at 11 months with 150 minimum so they should theoretically be able to have a 75 lb. calf unassisted if I turn them out at 15 months, use a calving ease bull (not to be confused with low birth weight), and are in good condition with a BCS of a solid 6.

How much does she weigh? What are you breeding her to? Is the bull a proven calving ease bull? Breeding at 12 months carries more risk than breeding later. Greater risk of needing assistance, greater risk of a bad outcome. Bred to a calving ease bull, most likely will be OK, but risk is greater. Pelvic measurement/scoring might be considered to help ensure confidence.

More heterosis in the mating, the more the birth weight. Bull calf (50% probable), the more birth weight. Fat heifer - more risk. Low BCS at calving - more risk of calving trouble. Just understand the risks and try to minimize them if she really needs to be bred now.
She's got to be at least 750 but she's fat. She's almost as tall as her mother but maybe 65-70 percent as long. She's already cycled 3 times so her body thinks she's ready.
She'll be back in heat around the 22nd. I may wait one more cycle past that. Here are the bull's epd's. I've got a younger bull i could put over her later but his epds aren't as good for low birthweight.

Attachments

• 6F498AB2-ED8D-4D8D-807D-97B7E1B2B051.jpeg
    6F498AB2-ED8D-4D8D-807D-97B7E1B2B051.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Unless you are wanting a winter calf or you have no way to hold her away from the bull I would wait. Breeding in June or July will give you a March or April calf. The heifer should be able to handle it better by then.

Unless you are wanting a winter calf or you have no way to hold her away from the bull I would wait. Breeding in June or July will give you a March or April calf. The heifer should be able to handle it better by then.
The bull is supposed to leave next month but i have another that's kind of young that could possibly breed her by then. I'll probably wait until june and take my chances on the little bull.

She's got to be at least 750 but she's fat. She's almost as tall as her mother but maybe 65-70 percent as long. She's already cycled 3 times so her body thinks she's ready.
She'll be back in heat around the 22nd. I may wait one more cycle past that. Here are the bull's epd's. I've got a younger bull i could put over her later but his epds aren't as good for low birthweight.
I would not be comfortable using a bull with those numbers on a young heifer. A younger bull with worse numbers doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If you want her bred now, I would AI her to a double digit CE bull. I have seen post on here about unplanned young heifers getting bred and for the most part they do just fine at calving time, so good luck with her.

I used 3 CED bull on heifers with no issues. Maybe I was extremely lucky but that was my experience.
When I purchased the bull the CED was higher but adjusted lower over time.

I would not be comfortable using a bull with those numbers on a young heifer. A younger bull with worse numbers doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If you want her bred now, I would AI her to a double digit CE bull. I have seen post on here about unplanned young heifers getting bred and for the most part they do just fine at calving time, so good luck with her.
He said the bull was a beefmaster. They have a different epd rating system than angus, and I believe a CED of 4.1 is considered calving ease

He said the bull was a beefmaster. They have a different epd rating system than angus, and I believe a CED of 4.1 is considered calving ease
Yeah, 65 pound calves are pretty common for beefmasters

Latest posts