Heifer with ticklish (=D) udders

Help Support CattleToday:

sunnyblueskies

Reaction score
First time heifer.
Had her calf no problem, loves it, moos at it, licks it. Makes sure it follows her.
Nothing wrong with the calf, can suck, is hungry.......
but the two don't mesh. When the calf sticks it's head there and tries to latch on, no matter which side or wich teat, the heifer kicks or simply walks a few steps so the calf can't latch on. And the calf is discouraged by now to keep trying.
Locked her up, put her in the maternity pen, hobbled her feet and calf sucks just fine. But only when we are around and put the heifer into the maternity pen and close her in.
Left them locked in for 2 days, no change.
So frustrating. Who has dealt with a case like this? What did you end up doing? How did the story end?

Stick-to-it-ive-ness....
Sometimes it takes more persistence than one would think it requires. Some animals are more stubborn than others. And some never will catch on.
Try it for about 3 weeks. If it ain't right by then, ship em
Only choice then is to bottle it. Or sell it.
Or sell both

Sometimes putting a do on the outside of the pen will kick in stronger instincts for the mama. But otherwise it will be a forced situation like you are doing. And she would be on my cull list for later on.

Stay with it. As the calf gets older it will get more aggressive. Keep locking her up in the maturnity pen. Then separate them for a few hours a day then put them in a pen small enough that the hfr can't get away from her calf. I use a pen about 8x10.
That's how I graft calves onto cows.

The one thing in your favor is that she's at least mothering up to her calf. Persistence should pay off. Have you checked her udder to make sure there isn't a reason she's kicking off her calf (painful, feels hot, raw, mastitis)?

I've had 2 heifers that wouldn't claim their calf. First one eventually found the love, 2nd one is on the top of the cull list (she's gone when the prices go up) and I sold her calf.

Yeah we checked her udders. Nothing wrong with them and she does have milk.
It's just so frustrating when you have to deal with issues which shouldn't be issues at all.
Stupid cows. =)

She could have sore/super sensitive teats since it's her first time. I'd try to milk her out by hand and bottle feed the calf once a day, for a day or so to see if that helps relieve some of the "tension" on her udder and the situation.

I learned the hard way long ago that making excuses for cattle that you have to "touch" with the exception of man made issues is a recipe for getting bit on the azz sooner rather than later. YMMV.

I did an experiment (against my better judgement). Spring of 2019 I had a heifer that calved and did not want her calf. Hobbles and confinement ensued. After a long ordeal I put the calf on the bottle and sold the calf. Re bred the heifer, spring 2020 she calved and mothered the calf just like any other cow. The problem I see with this is it may suck me into giving future heifers a second chance and having the whole issue blow up in my face. Time will tell.

Silver said:
I did an experiment (against my better judgement). Spring of 2019 I had a heifer that calved and did not want her calf. Hobbles and confinement ensued. After a long ordeal I put the calf on the bottle and sold the calf. Re bred the heifer, spring 2020 she calved and mothered the calf just like any other cow. The problem I see with this is it may suck me into giving future heifers a second chance and having the whole issue blow up in my face. Time will tell.

I'd have to reeeeeally like the heifer to give her a 2nd chance. And I've completely lost the love for my aforementioned heifer (and BTW selling her as bred in Oct when we wean).

Latest posts