heifer with a new calf/when to breed back

Help Support CattleToday:

robinb

Reaction score
hello, im new here..we have started a small cattle operation and have just had our first calf last nite. we have one other heifer due any day. i also have 6 new ones that i am going to breed. we have our own bull. my question is, when can these new mamas be put in with the bull and other girls? i have raised horses for years and always bred our mares back on their foal heat..but i think cows are not the same...any advice?

yes breeding for fall calves..mostly i want them all to get on the same cycle! im actually planning to put my bull in around the first of november...will the 2 heifers that just calved, be able to be bred back that quick and with the calves still on them?

can the new mamas go out with the rest at the same time? we plan to put the bull in around the first of november.

They can go out with the cows. They may not breed back right away though. Sometimes first calve heifers take a couple cycles to breed back.

Are you wanting calves at about this same time next year, or earlier? If you put him in on the 1st of November, your calves will be hitting the ground during mid-late August. You should be fine putting the cows with their calves in with the others at any time.

If you want october calves, I'd wait until about christmas time.. It is going to take a while for the first timers to come into heat, I found 6 weeks pretty typical if they have good food.. I haven't done any scientific testing, but they say they come into heat faster in the presence of other cows in heat or bulls. If you put the bull in too early, you'll have a spread out calving season next fall.. don't know how important that is to you.

i want my calves earlier than this..mid to late august will work fine for us. we only have 6 new heifers and the two 2 year olds who just had their first calves..i am just hoping they will all sort of get together so that the next round will all be around the same time. i didnt know how fast a girl with a baby would breed back.

if you don't mind the stragglers and want to move everything earlier, I guess letting your bull out Nov 1st will do fine, though the few that are just calving probably won't breed until the end of november, if all goes well!

Latest posts