Heifer to pick apart, 3/4 shorthorn

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I was looking at some old pics, and found one of a heifer I regret not having kept. from a first calf 3 year old cow who's done well for me since

Full image here
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ ... 007029.jpg
LillooetOct92007029.jpg

She's really got nice length, I like the colour as well, though I think she could have a bit more chest, though that may be an illusion because of the length.

Anyone else think I may have missed out on a good animal?

Very growthy, good wedge, she could be cleaner through the shoulders, but good heifer none the less.

I would have probably kept her Nesikep. I also find myself drooling over the mountains in the back ground. I can picture it crawling with some trophy muley bucks :cboy:

I know she would have turned out to be a frame 7, maybe even 8... she was bound to be a tall girl, weight probably somewhere in the 1600's when fully mature.

We have one cow who's a monster, I think I measured her at a frame 8 and nearly 2000 lbs, but she's a doll to work with... which is why I question anyone who wants one of them mean assed dexters

Nesikep":eazuuh02 said:
I know she would have turned out to be a frame 7, maybe even 8... she was bound to be a tall girl, weight probably somewhere in the 1600's when fully mature.

We have one cow who's a monster, I think I measured her at a frame 8 and nearly 2000 lbs, but she's a doll to work with... which is why I question anyone who wants one of them mean assed dexters

Just let go Nes. She was nice; but in the next years crop that you showed on here, the halfway gelbviehs, there were many that were better IMHO.

That was actually from 4 years ago.

I'm having trouble now since we don't have much summer pasture, but lots of hay.. I have 4 heifers from last year, and probably a couple coming this year, but not enough room. Most of my herd is fairly young, except for 1, the oldest cows are 8, I have a couple non-performers to go, but typically they're all doing well. I've kept a replacement for the old one about 4 times already but she keeps going and keeps making great calves, her last heifer is 900+ lbs at 10 1/2 months.

I'm going to look for that "Which 4 heifers to keep" thread and refresh it... Maybe one of them will go in the freezer this fall

It was mostly me dad's decision, I wasn't living on the farm at the time. I think that was part of it. She is also line-bred, same father as grandfather, we kept a couple others that year that were also line-bred and 1 of them in particular is miserable... She's the one who pretty much doesn't have enough milk to even keep a calf alive, and that is the calf who I'm grafting onto Maddy, and then I am going to see if one of my friends who was looking for beef will take the useless mother

Nesikep":22u2segg said:

Good looking girl, I have always liked Shorthorn's and Hereford's. Just can't afford the SH here they dock the fire out of them at salebarn. Idiot's see the chrome and act like it is longhorn when they know it's not. Just another way to screw you out of some dollar's. My neighbor is a SH breeder his target crowd is show calf's and does great on them which more than makes up for the loss at the salebarn.

I love the look of a nice shorthorn, but if they get too much white I don't like them anymore. That's why we went for an all-red shorthorn bull the second go round.

Latest posts