Heifer Sale in Calhoun GA - Good place to start?

Help Support CattleToday:

SouthernGent

Reaction score
Hi,

There is a Heifer Sale later this month in Calhoun, Ga.. This is an annual sale sponsored by UGA. Heifers are guaranteed to be bred by AI(ABS bull Mytty in Focus) or if the AI did not take, one of their clean-up bulls. Commercial and registered animals both are included and listed in a catalog available on line or by mail. For someone like me who has no cows, wanting to build a herd, would this be a good place to start? Anybody ever been to this sale or one like it?
Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

SG :D

I think that kind of sale is a good place to start. If nothing else, go wander around, talk to people, and watch the sale. You can generally talk to the people selling the animals, get more information on them or their dams, get a feel for how comfortable you are with the seller. Would you buy a used car from him type thing. You should have a reliable window for calving and that bull is known for calving ease. Do they offer any kind of guarantee on them? On the other hand, they may sell for more than you can buy heifers somewhere else.

yes that sale would be a great place to start.as said go to the sale look at the cattle an meet the people there.an if you feel comfy bidding.set the price your willing to pay for reg an comm.an dont go over it.an above all dont go hogg wild bidding.an over pay for cattle.keep your mind an senses about you.there will always be cattle sales.ive been going to sales for over 35yrs.an sometimes i get caught up in the bidding if its a cow i really want.

I just don't recomend heifers for the first time cattleman. I think you would be better served with some young cows that have had a calf or two. Start with cows that know what is going on untill you learn what is normal.

I bought 11 heifers from the Tifton sale two years ago, most of the heifers did well. That said I had two that where not bred and another tha slipped her calf twice. None of the three are still around 2 years later. They only offer a 30 day pregnancy guarantee,watch them carefully if in doubt have a vet come check them. If you want an idea of what they will bring look at the results from the Tifton sale from April.

I personally would buy from a reputable individual. Any good breeder will give you lots of advice and you would probably have a better guarantee.

alabama":2b0dx34h said:
I just don't recomend heifers for the first time cattleman. I think you would be better served with some young cows that have had a calf or two. Start with cows that know what is going on untill you learn what is normal.

Alabama, you got it exactly right. Undisputable fact of life--------Inexperienced cowboys or girls should start with experienced cows. You will have ten times as many problems with first calf heifers as you will have with good 5 year old cows. Also, the older cows will be cheaper to buy .

Latest posts