Heifer Problems

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
Had a heifer have a calf tonight that was dead. Not sure if it died during calving or was born dead but it was a large calf for a first time heifer. I noticed she was starting the calving process about dark, but nothing was showing and I came back a couple hours later to check on her and found she had the calf. I'm trying to decide on what to do from a income standpoint. I typically don't keep cows that don't produce calves to sale, regardless the reason. Would it be possible to breed her back and sale her as a bred cow since she did technically calve? My other option would be just taking her to the sale barn. Any thoughts or opinions?

ncboy34":1tbwx44r said:
Had a heifer have a calf tonight that was dead. Not sure if it died during calving or was born dead but it was a large calf for a first time heifer. I noticed she was starting the calving process about dark, but nothing was showing and I came back a couple hours later to check on her and found she had the calf. I'm trying to decide on what to do from a income standpoint. I typically don't keep cows that don't produce calves to sale, regardless the reason. Would it be possible to breed her back and sale her as a bred cow since she did technically calve? My other option would be just taking her to the sale barn. Any thoughts or opinions?
I had the same situation last year but I went against my better judgement because I really liked the heifer. So I kept her, and she calved first out of that group this year. A nice angus bull calf dead as a door nail. :dunce:

I kept one last year that had a dead one too. Bred right back. Due to calve March 8. I sure wish I had sent her right on to the sale the same week failed to deliver a live one.

If NC salebarn prices are the same as I've been seeing elsewhere, now is as good a time as any to dump her and cut your losses.
Yes, breds will bring more right now and presumably for the near term as well, assuming she breeds right back and-- you have no qualms about dumping one at the barn that had problems the first time around, but You have that scenario either way tho--whether you sell now or as a bred heifer.

I would check the calves feet and tongue to see if it ever took a breath or stood up, have a vet look at it and find out what happened. I had a heifer deliver a dead one and since then she gives a nice calf every year since then, she is an '08 model. All cows or heifers are able to lose one here or there for whatever reason, and you may lose more in the future if you don't know what caused this. If you like her, give her another chance, if she's nothing special, let someone else give her another chance.

Markets are up and it won't cost much to sell her and buy another bred cow back. It's crazy here how cheap it is to trade bulls in for a new one this year.

unless she would be your number 1 or 2 cow, I'd sell her. The cull market says to sell her with the high prices. Even if you get her bred back, you will have to feed her for several months and its a very good possibility if you sell her short bred she will go as a slaughter cow anyway. Just my opinion
Jenna

I've pretty much decided she is sale barn material at this point. I've had her penned up to keep an eye on her, she seemed to have a pretty rough birth. It is almost like her hips are higher than they used to be. Not real sure she has a great appetite like before. At this point it would be unwise to breed her back.

If she is milking then I would find a calf to put on her. Around here if you put a holstein steer on a beef cow, he will bring a big check in the end if you sell him as a 4-H prospect, known quite a few of them to become champions at state fairs afterwards... The calf should at least pay for the expense of getting her bred. If she is open with a full udder then I know I definitely wouldn't pay more than butcher price. As soon as she is a couple months pregnant then I would sell her. Also if you give her a calf to raise that will probably help give her a reason to live. Had a holstein cow that was very sickly and always seemed depressed after she had a hard birth with a dead calf, then we grabbed one of the angus X holstein heifer calves and put them together to try and get some value out of her... two months later the cow was just as nice and healthy as any others. Pulled the calf off her so it could grow with the rest of the others it's own age, then the cow died shortly thereafter. Very strange. Love the calf we got out of it though!

The cull cow market could explode with the month if the wholesale price of hamburger is any indication. You might want to hold her long enuf to dry up a bit and watch the market.

It depends on your feed situation... if you have lots of feed, hold on to her a bit, if you're buying it, then sell her...

I don't get the point of grafting the calf of an old cow on to her... the old cow has proven herself, and probably has better milk... I've seen it in my herd that if a cow makes it to about 8 years old or so without troubles, her chances at making another 6 years are pretty good... Not so much with heifers that have a problem to start with..

Latest posts