Heifer Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks kingfisher and williamsv!! Where they are at is actually not planted. That is from feeding and rolling out first cutting hay. Thanks again yall

Red Bull Breeder":15pv6kgx said:
She may never use the horns. I have a couple with horns that have never been a problem.
:nod: :nod:
People are so obsessed with removing horns. All of my cattle have horns, they look better that way. Not a lot of problems with it either. Agressive cows needs to be culled regardless of horns. :2cents:

Both of my bulls are line one reg horned herfords. One of them has the horns tipped the way you say Alacowman and they are growing down and around towards the front. I just had them tested and vet said same thing about sloping the tip

Well, I may not have to worry about the horns after all, I seen her standing for a heifer riding her this morning. I am going to blood test end of the month to be sure...That stinks!

Gus other than the horns fine looking animals.
Horn's are nothing but a knock at the barn and problems on the farm.
If she checks positive those horns would have to go.
You can bet your bottom dollar she will use them around the hay ring someday.
I have cut them off with everything you can imagine, I out grew those rodeos.
One eye knocked out or punctured gut will get your attention.
I let horns go years ago. Buyers don't want them either.

Thanks for the compliment CB, my dehorners got a work out this weekend working calves. Didn't let any slide this year. How would you take the horns off at this age and size?

Gus, you done a nice job on those girls. Im inclined to agree with CB about the horns though. I just dont like having them around and its just another streesor on calves when/if you burn them. Something that big i would saw, done it in the past, dont like it either, good potential for infection. What i have seen with mixed cattle (horned and polled) placed together is that the horned ones almost always rule the feeder (for obvious reasons). Good luck. Hope you get the results you need for her.

gus2121":1ixep439 said:
Thanks for the compliment CB, my dehorners got a work out this weekend working calves. Didn't let any slide this year. How would you take the horns off at this age and size?

I have used about everything under the sun at one time or the other.
Horn saw,hack saw, electric burner is the best if her horns are not to big.
Used an electric chainsaw one time very fast and very messy.
You will be covered in blood when this is finished if you don't burn them.
If you have never dehorned a grown cow before I suggest you find someone who
has to teach you. There is more blood than you can imagine.
I always kept them up for a few days after to watch for infection.
She will be very endeared to you after the dehorning and will probably meet you at the gate when you
come to check on her in the pen.
I hated dehorning cows I hated an infected one worse.
If she was mine I would sell her and buy me a better cow.
I dehorned at conception, bull doesn't seem to mind at all.

I have dehorned several calves and tipped more longhorns than I can remember. I have used a sawzall on the longhorns and cut them back to ears length. It is very messy. I just haven't ever took horns all they way back to the scalp of this size.
Thanks for the compliment bball, she is the one I am hoping is bred. If she is bred, I will figure some way to get the horns off, I agree.
CB, is the horns the only thing you can see as a reason to cull, given she turns up bred?

gus2121":36ak89gr said:
I have dehorned several calves and tipped more longhorns than I can remember. I have used a sawzall on the longhorns and cut them back to ears length. It is very messy. I just haven't ever took horns all they way back to the scalp of this size.
Thanks for the compliment bball, she is the one I am hoping is bred. If she is bred, I will figure some way to get the horns off, I agree.
CB, is the horns the only thing you can see as a reason to cull, given she turns up bred?

That is it.
I just have issues with them I don't want to deal with any longer.

Latest posts