Heifer Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

gus2121

Reaction score

These are some of the heifers I have raised. Wish I would have dehorned the mot heifer, wife wanted to leave them. I wont do that again. Just wanted to share some pics. I put the bulls with them 1st day of March.

Nice looking group of heifers, You won't hear me say this often, because most times the wife is going to be right :roll: but in this case not taking the horns off was a mistake. She is still a nice heifer, what kind of bull did you put on them?

gizmom

I have 15 heifers. I put 2 registered LBW angus bulls on them. Yeah it was a mistake on the horns, they were not near as long at weaning time. I will probably go ahead and put bands on them when we get them up to palpate.

Nesikep":2650nd6d said:
They do look nice..

Horns probably already uses them to her advantage right?

Thanks Nesikep! Haven't seen her use them much YET! I know it is coming. She is probably the gentlest one I got and doesn't get excited about anything.

The piebald, and the horned motley face are my kinda heifer. You can band those horns.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I agree it is way easier when they are young to deal with the horns. Had already dehorned all the other calves when she came in the chute. Wife said " Let's leave em, I like em" :bang:
M5, I leased the bulls. They are 15 and 17 months old. Doing some figuring and at the last minute decided to do 2 bulls for 30 days, 1 for 60 days instead of 1 for 90 days. Same money. I thought since the heifers were luted all together it would be to many for 1 17 month old bull to handle. I may be wrong, will see. I also didn't want to watch heifers any longer than 60 days anyways. After turning them out together, seen each bull with different heifer 2nd, 3rd and 5th day. So I am hoping half are bred already but with my luck who knows.

I only have a sprinkling of horns to deal with every year, and only on calves I buy. Banding is easy, but reading that article makes me think twice about it.

I'm going to band two, as soon as my pens dry up. I'll watch them for signs of pain, and see what I think about future use.

That's a good looking bunch. An't FWIW I leave the horns on my heifers as well but my cows do have to deal with some predation so I like to give them a little help. It's really never been a problem so far.

Latest posts