Heifer down after hard delivery.

Help Support CattleToday:

Randall

Reaction score
Our 3 year old hereford just had her first calf on Memorial day. The calf was a bit big for her and we had to assist with traction because of hiplock. We had to use the truck because that was all we have. She was paralyzed from the pressure and has since regained movement in her back legs and tail. I have seen her stand once two days after and have seen evidence of her moving around a bit (4-6 feet). She took to her calf and is a good mother. She has been self nursing, but will let him nurse if I help him. She has not expelled all of her after birth yet. It is still hanging out of her. I was wondering if I could gently pull on it to help her get rid of the rest of it. Any experiened advise would be great. Thanks in advance.

I just had this experience with retained placenta. I gently pulled on it but most of what I learned is that you should let the weight of the hanging afterbirth do the gently pulling for you. One response I got that seemed good was to tie a rag to it to add weight, otherwise let it go. In regard to the assisted delivery, are you saying you used the truck to pull the calf out? That is not a good method. Pulling a calf has to consider the direction the force is applied. That could account for some of the injury.

I agree. A penicillin shot wouldn't hurt, but if you just leave her alone it should eventually go away. Pulling on it yourself would probably do a lot more harm than good. When in doubt, call your vet.

I'd say too, to keep turning her and trying to move her some. This will stimulate the muscles so they dont "freeze up". We have had dairy cows get pinched nerves, and we keep trying to move them and have used a cow lift before too to slowly allow them to start using their legs again. Some do get better, and some just dont, time will tell.
Jenna

Latest posts