Heifer chasing Coyote?

Help Support CattleToday:

vbd

Reaction score
OK, the city boy in me is gonna come out...again... :oops:

I just went to feed and witnessed a couple of our young heifers chasing a coyote! We have heard them, but never seen any on our property until this morning.

Years ago I had friends that raised greyhounds to run coyotes and these girls were on that coyote like the greyhounds used to!

They chased it off the property, then promptly came to eat. :D

I assume this is normal?

Van

Don;t know if it's normal but ours do it. The also chase off the wild turkeys.

dun

This was a couple of hereford heifers (6 and 7 mo) and I thought they were just playing, then spotted the coyote! It was an interesting sight and a good race! Funny thing, when they got the coyote run off, they were the first to the feed! Guess all that work made em hungry! :lol:

Another one of the heifers (my favorite) was sick yesterday and I was waiting for daylight to see how she was. Guess the Nuflor did its job as she appears much better this morning...

Van

I would say that is a good thing, but watch the family dog in the pasture with them.

Alan

vbd":3ozmo5mg said:
OK, the city boy in me is gonna come out...again... :oops:

I just went to feed and witnessed a couple of our young heifers chasing a coyote! We have heard them, but never seen any on our property until this morning.

Years ago I had friends that raised greyhounds to run coyotes and these girls were on that coyote like the greyhounds used to!

They chased it off the property, then promptly came to eat. :D

I assume this is normal?

Van

I consider it normal. The cows mostly ignore coyotes, but the heifers will chase them. They do the same with strange dogs, but don't pay much attention to our own dog.

We had a coyote get too close to a calf last week and the entire herd surrounded him and kept him pinned in a ditch for quite awhile. When he finally made a break for it, he was more than happy to leave the pasture.

Our calves/ heifers routinely chase the 'yotes... entertainment mostly. When the young calves get to chasing them, the momma's keep a close eye. I've seen a cow or two join the chase.

vbd":22w78y8p said:
I just went to feed and witnessed a couple of our young heifers chasing a coyote! They chased it off the property, then promptly came to eat. :D

I assume this is normal?

Van

I don't know whether it's 'normal' or not, but ours do it, too. If there are calves in the herd, several of the girls 'babysit' while the rest of them chase the intruding coyote/dog/whatever off.

I thought some of cattle were "playing", until I saw a deer with a broken leg scooting around the ground. The deer couldn't jump the fences and couldn't go thru the fences to get away. The cows were chasing that poor deer ragged.

I got a brammer heifer that will run down anything that gets into the pasture except me(or she would be gone). She will raise her head and get that look in her eye and you know some critter is in big trouble...including the dog.

One of the intersting things, to me anyway, is how many misc. varmints that I can get a shot at that I wouldn;t even see if the cows didn;t point them out. When they start staring off into the distance I know something is there that shoudln;t be.

dun

yep.. cows pretty much watch out for themselves.
Good eyes.. and good strong legs to kick with! not to mention the head butting.

Mr. Dun, you are so correct. Always pay attention to where your cows (and horses for that matter) are focusing their attention. Their senses are so much more acute than ours. Our cows will chase any canid out of the pasture. Last summer my bull took out after a dog - that was truly amazing to watch something that big move that fast.

Im not to sure about wild critters, but when we had that aggressive donkey he would beat up on the cattle, then the bull started throwing him around when he got too close. Once a calf dropped, the cow ran him off when he got within 30 feet of the calf. The only one that wouldnt do anything was the heifer, who got beat up on until the donkey nearly had a bullet in him, but the guys we got him from called just in time and came and picked him up.

We had a call in to the guys and then I saw the donkey chase the heifer straight into the fence then grabbed on to her ear and wouldnt let go. Had the gun out and loaded then the phone rang and they came and got him, with a full refund.

Little off topic. Not coyotes, but I knew a rancher with top brammers. He dehorned them. He started losing calves at birth to some predator. Turned out it was wild hogs! He started leaving the horns on is cattle. Problem cleared right up!

I have mostly Brangus cows, some cross breds. Since I went to high quality cows and bulls, I haven't lost a calf to predators. I have lost them to illness and after they died, the 'yotes and buzzards got them. I've seen the cows pack up to protect a newborn calf. In fact, it happen just the other day.

A heifer had her first calf. It was still trying to get up when a 'yote showed up, which was about the time I got there. I watched for a little bit b/c I didn't have a rifle with me. Five other cows worked together to keep that 'yote away from the calf and heifer. He finally saw me standing there and took off with the cows in hot persuit.

Who needs a donkey with cows like that?

Latest posts