Heifer accidently got bred by her sire.

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen more deformed calves from unrelated matings than from related matings. I'm expecting a calf from daughter/father mating this May

I agree with Lute and Dex to abort the pregnancy if you'd prefer to have her bred to another bull. Recessive defects always pop up in my mind in situations like that, but they happen with unrelated matings anyway. If you're planning on selling the resulting calf as a terminal animal anyway, it's not necessarily the end of the world-especially if the calf is born with no defects. Not ideal, but not the end of the world. Best of luck to ya with whichever you decide!

dun":5naxclcf said:
Close to the same but a little different. We frequently breed mother to son. Never had an odd calf from it and have had some darn good cows result from it.
Here's a mother-son calf... the cow made great calves with the gelbvieh bull we had, but from the limo they didn't turn out well at all.. figured what the heck, try this instead.. so far so good, she's the youngest heifer but certainly not the smallest

Never did it with cattle but I have had it happen with sheep once but the other way around, son breeding his dam, and nothing weird happened. If your cows so genetically homogeneous that one instance of extreme line breeding caused a major defect that would be a real surprise.

That said, in a terminal calf there should be no issue, let he calve it out. If you really wanted to AI her and the calf is only a week along give her the lute and go forward with AIing her, should not be an issue

Latest posts