Heel fly season in SE Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
To all you SE Texans,

When is heel fly season here. Or better yet, when is it over.

Haven't seen our cows running our fighing to get away from them. Haven't seen many flys of any kind on them. Wondered when to expect them.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I saw one of my cows with her tail strait in the air running in circles - I think it's here. I just drenched and fly sprayed them 2 weeks ago too.

We usually see them about the mid to the end of May. This year seems to be a bit different in that I didn't see them in May at all, and only had 3 days of activity here last week. Flys on them don't seem to be as bad this year either. May be the dry conditions? All I know is that if they could eat grasshoppers, there'd be some fat cows out there! :D

Our heel fly season is usually in august-september and horse flys in august. Heel flys are active now and I saw horseflys on a couple of cows.

Ol Ma Nature playing tricks again

dun

Killed 3 horseflys on one cow last night. Not sure I know much about these heel flies. I'll have to do some research.

This year the heel flies started around the last week of May and will probably remain active to some degree through June and maybe into July. They aren't nearly as bad this year as they were two years ago. I'm thinking soil moisture may be the reason. Horn flies are about average, maybe a little less.

Latest posts