Heavy vs. light grazing steers

Help Support CattleToday:

TheFutureFarmer

Reaction score
I may have the opportunity to purchase lighter (450 lb.) steers this spring from a local farmer. They would be double vaccinated weaned calves that are located 0.25 miles from my house tht he has wintered. I have typically grazed heavier (600+ lb.) steers through the summer (150 days) as I have been told that they have a higher ADG. However, my steers last year had an ADG of 1.58 (I was not impressed). This year I am grazing 600+ lb steers and supplementing with 4 lb. corn/head/day. I always use rotational grazing practices.

I ran a model in Excel which showed that at higher stocking rates, the lighter calves would eat less tons of forage while providing higher gains per acre (it assumed all calves gained at the same rate).

Does anybody have any experience or input on this? The potential benefit would be purchasing low stress calves with a proven vaccination history and not spending my time at the sale barn on high risk calves. The potential risk/downfall would be a reduced ADG resulting in a longer grazing period. I do plan on working with the extension agent/nutritionist in order to perfect supplementation while grazing.

One question, if they are 450 lb steers and already weaned do they have the potential to grow real good. I like the fact of them being weaned and so close to home.

I have heard that weaned calves tend to gain better as they spend less time looking for mom and more time eating. This particular farmer purchases these calves in the fall at 200-300 lb and winters them in his barn and he is on a vaccination program with a reputable vet.

Latest posts