Heavy Rains Here

Help Support CattleToday:

We've been blessed with good rain in Gallatin County. I'm sorry you guys haven't been.

I was just offered a neighboring parcel to cut hay off of. We got 90 rolls and it hasn't seen fertilizer in a long time. Lots of thick fescue though but weeds are plentiful. I'm debating on asking for a long term commitment so I can improve the soil and grasses. My hay man said we could easily double the yield with lime and fert.

We were wet early and were delayed getting into hay. Then got a couple of windows and got things done. Ground was in good shape and we left some to be grazed instead of cutting since we had alot left over from last year. Lost a big hay place and haven't been sorry for the loss of aggravation and have lost 1 pasture due to sale and another we will lose at the end of this year due to sale of the place. Just had someone BEG us to come cut first cutting so they can get second cutting for their horses and will be paying us to do the second cutting for them as we told them we really don't want or need to be doing any more. Have heard they are a pain to deal with so will try it this year since we are getting first for the making and will get paid to do 2nd. in small squares. Anything they can't fit in the barn extra, we get if there is any, but we don't have to make up any to fill their barn. We will try it. It isn't too far from a couple of other places but I really don't want to take on any more work.

I feel bad for all that are in drought conditions. We have been lucky here the past several years but I know that it can turn around in a heartbeat. Have 2 pastures in one area that have not been getting the rain and will move the heifers out of the one place about 2 weeks earlier than planned to bring them home to calve.

Bigfoot, don't look at that late piece as worthless since it ought to have alot of 2nd growth coming up in it and will make some nice hay. Tops may look like crap, but I have found that they will eat they dried up stuff right along with the greener 2nd growth and actually do better because they are getting the dry matter they need for their rumens to work better in the winter. After last winter being real mild overall, and even the past 2-3 years, we are due to get hit and any and all hay will be welcome even if they only use some of it to lay on. Any organic matter you can put back into your soil is a plus.

Latest posts