heavy bred hiefer showing heat??

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
I always bring my hiefers up to a pasture near the barn when they start showing really heavy. So today I got 7 of them up. I'm not the most experienced cattleman in the world but I can tell when a hiefer is two weeks (give or take) or less from calving. My question comes here. There was one hiefer that was being rode hard by the rest of them. I know she's not it heat but why would they be doing this. I've never noticed this in previous years. this may sound kinda stupid but do cattle go through something that resembles a heat before they calve?

During pregancy the corpus luteum releases progesterone which maintains the pregnancy. At the end of pregnancy the CL leaves progesterone levels drop and estrogen levels spike. High estrogen levels also occur during heat. This is one possibility of why an animal would demonstrate or seem to be in "heat".

I have a cow 7 months bred and comes into heat every month, the vet says she don't know why.
Stewart

Stewart we've had one like that too. Also a mare that would come into heat regular as clockwork until she foaled. Mind you it happens with women too, that's why some of them never know they are pregnant.

I once had a group of bred heifers and noticed the same thing as well, realled freaked me out because i was afraid some might have slipped their calf. Doc said it was a normal thing and so i simmered down, a little! weird, really weird!

Latest posts