Heat Detection

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I have 2 cows and 2 first time heifers. One of the cows is about 9 yrs. old and the other is about 5 1/2 yrs. old. The two heifers are about 30 months old. On the 15th of June the two cows and one of the heifers came into standing heat. I couldn't take them to the vet to get them AI'd because I had a graduation to go to. I went and talked with my vet on the 22nd and he suggested waiting 10 days and then give them all 4 a shot of Lutalyse (5 cc each) and it should bring them into heat in about 3 days. So on Tuesday at 6:30 pm the 25th I gave all 4 of them a shot hoping it would bring them into standing heat Friday night or Saturday morning. I checked all 4 of them every morning and every night for the last 4 days with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Phil

You need a new vet. If they were in standing heat on the fifteenth, they should have a functioning CL again by the twenty second when he/she saw them which lutalyse would work on and have them in heat a few days ago. By waiting ten days they're most likely to the point in their cycle where they'd be starting follicular waves which lutalyse has no effect on and by my math they're going to start cycling on their own right around the fourth and fifth when nobody is going to want to mess with them.

CP - Thanks for the reply. Am I understanding this correctly. I should of given them the Lutalyse on the 22nd, which would have been 7 days instead of Tuesday the 25th, which was 10 days? Thanks, Phil

I've never been a fan of the single shot of lute to ring them in. I've always preferred a shot of GNRH follwed 7 days later by lute. That way you know that the lute will be given at a time that it will actually do some good.

CP and Dun, I think you are both overthinking the situation. They were in standing heat on the 15th so no need for GnRH because you know exactly where they are in the cycle. Lutalyse given any time between day 7 and day 14 after heat (including day 10) should work. There are too many variables to even begin to guess why they didn't respond. Are you using any heat detection aids? It has turned hot here, could be riding at night or heat wave could throw them off completely. Was lutalyse administered properly?

If they don't respond by Tuesday (7 days), give them another shot of Lutalyse.

Thanks guys for the responses. I am using tail patches and one of the heifers and one of the cows I saw in standing heat, the other cow just had her tail patch rubbed completely off. I check them every night and every morning. And they rub most of their tag off with their tail, etc. but when I see it completely wore off is when I believe they were in standing heat. I gave them 5 cc of Lutalyce in the neck. Thanks, Phil

Latest posts