Heat detection patches

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Do you re-AI 12 hours after a patch turns red? (They haven't yet; we are 17 days out so are watching morning and evening).
Thanks!

boondocks":1v6m8hh0 said:
Do you re-AI 12 hours after a patch turns red? (They haven't yet; we are 17 days out so are watching morning and evening).
Thanks!

Are you talking about estrotect patches? Probably best to ai when the patch is red - not 12 hours after. If it's all red, it's been a while since she first stood stood already and waiting 12 hours may be too late. If it was just scratched and you see her stand stand such that you think she JUST started standing, then I may wait.

If I check them at 7 am and have a red patch I breed around noon, 12hrs is a perfect world if you actually see her stand. Then anything till 1 pm I breed at dark if any between 1 and dark use my judgement depending on exact time, closer to dark next am from 1 to dark may breed them twice dark and daylight. And use gnrh with everything

angus9259":28m0qcx2 said:
boondocks":28m0qcx2 said:
Thanks!

Are you talking about estrotect patches? Probably best to ai when the patch is red - not 12 hours after. If it's all red, it's been a while since she first stood stood already and waiting 12 hours may be too late. If it was just scratched and you see her stand stand such that you think she JUST started standing, then I may wait.

I think we used a different brand but same idea as estrotect.

Bred as relief tech for select sires in va and we did mostly dairy cattle but some small beef farms. The rule of thumb was 12 hours after observing heat or pm if red heat mount detector in morning and am if seen in eve. Now, I have found that if you think about a bull breeding, he doesn't wait til she is in the perfect timing, and yes he puts alot more in there several times so timing is important to some extent. With my own cows, I have gone to more moderate timing, breed them when I see them or see the patch is red since I don't know if they just started or it was half the night. If she is obviously standing right then, I will wait 4-6 hours then breed. If I am early and they are standing for a longer period I will breed a second time just to try to catch them and often do use gnrh. I have better luck breeding sooner rather than later but that is just my cows.