Heat cycle

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Is the interval the same after abortion , the same as after calving ? My gut says yes but I thought I would ask the experts . Second question , would you rebreed a cow that had an abortion and throw your calving season off, or bite the bullet and rebreed with the rest? Not going to cull her.

snoopdog:
1. Is the interval the same after abortion , the same as after calving ?

Response: Yes. Should be unless the abortion was due to a malady that damaged the reproductive system

2. Second question , would you rebreed a cow that had an abortion and throw your calving season off, or bite the bullet and rebreed with the rest?

Response: personally, I want a very narrow calving season. Thus, in my system I would roll her in with the others.

M-5,No lute. Thanks everyone. My season should be relatively narrow although I'm sure it can be improved . I like the idea of holding her over, but was concerned about the possibility of the neighbors bull and fence damage . We had a cow in the past that let every bull in the area know she was ready, the huzzy! After further thought, I realized that the neighbor should be putting his boys up by then.

1. Depends on the age of the calf when she aborted; the further along she was, the longer it will take for her to come in heat. However, it can be just a few days to a few weeks if she is not nursing, even with a full term calf. We had a first calf heifer have a dead calf, and she came in 7 days later. Obviously, her uterus is not healed that soon, but we put an embryo in her at 30 days post calving and she stuck it.