Heat Detection Patches

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
Been using Estrotec for some time now. Been interested in trying "Standing Heat" patches. The Estrotec works for us but upon speaking with the Standing Heat folks, they did provide a difference between the two.

One being, the Standing Heat patches don't scratch with a tail switch and on a hot day when you're detecting heat for flushes...This might be a better option. We have one girl who doesn't do well with heat detection. I am also told they stick better. We use a spray with Estrotec to ensure staying power.

I wouldn't mind some real feedback from others who've actually used these patches vs the company pitching them. I am considering sampling the Standing Heat patches but they are slightly higher in price.

cant say abut the new kind, ive used estrotec for years, never use any extra spray, looking at mine now some have been on 65 days, i cant just pull them off still, will take a knife when i get them up, different climate, and i do keep them in my shirt before i put them on, even in the spring. doubt ill change unless there as good and cheaper.

bse said:
cant say abut the new kind, ive used estrotec for years, never use any extra spray, looking at mine now some have been on 65 days, i cant just pull them off still, will take a knife when i get them up, different climate, and i do keep them in my shirt before i put them on, even in the spring. doubt ill change unless there as good and cheaper.
Keeping them warm and a good nice normal summer coat of hair. Winter time I cut some off and brush loose dirt off. Takes a pliers and a knife to get them off most of the time!

We do have a bit of an issue with the estrotec patch when the cattle decide to rub on downed trees, but that's not the patch's fault. I use an ear tag cutter to cut the hair below the patch when I breed the cow.

We usually pull ours off once they've been AId, just in case someone leaves a gate open or what not and we're having to sort again. Makes things easier and it's happened on one or more occasions.

We warm ours up inside a 5 gallon bucket with a heat lamp over it but on the occasion we're just doing one or two, I usually have them inside my heated coat (cuz I'm a pansy and don't belong in Nebraska during winter)...

We've still had a few problems with them falling off, even combing their tail head. So the spray is just security although not nescessary.

The non scratch is what is interesting me. I don't want to buy a whole set though and realize I'm not happy with them. The company isn't far from where I work on so maybe I can see if I can get an actual sample of, as we'd purchase quite a bit if we were pleased with them.

Bcompton53 said:
We do have a bit of an issue with the estrotec patch when the cattle decide to rub on downed trees, but that's not the patch's fault. I use an ear tag cutter to cut the hair below the patch when I breed the cow.

Does it ruin the cutter, faster? That's genius. We usually use pliers.

I pull mine when there A I,ed but 17 days later they get another, if they pass over it will be awhile before there pulled, sometimes if they get scratched alot I'll run em through, just makes it easier on me to watch em.

Ebenezer said:
What % cows do they help you catch that you would otherwise miss? Thanks.

I don't know that id say all but most, because it lets me do around and not just watch cows, get there in the morning if there red, breed that evening, usually check at noon and breed them also, when I breed in the evening, check again whatever has been in I breed next morning. not an absolute tell all but they save me a lot of time.

Since most "activity " happens between 6pm and 6am the patches help me keep in tune with what has happened overnight. The hot pink really stands out on the black cows, I can see them with binoculars from the house.

The only time they don't stick well is when I disturbed the hair too much and brought up the dirt from below. Easy enough to tell stick or branch rubs compared to a mounting. Just my :2cents:

I have used both kinds of patches. Not sure there is a huge difference but I like the estrotec for yearlings and the other type for cows. We normally blow the dirt out when we put the estrotecs on. Both are a really good cost effective tool.

Named'em Tamed'em said:
Since most "activity " happens between 6pm and 6am the patches help me keep in tune with what has happened overnight. The hot pink really stands out on the black cows, I can see them with binoculars from the house.

The only time they don't stick well is when I disturbed the hair too much and brought up the dirt from below. Easy enough to tell stick or branch rubs compared to a mounting. Just my :2cents:

That it is. I'm speaking more about "coming in" to heat. We like to see a donor actually stand.

NEFarmwife said:
Bcompton53 said:

Not that I've noticed. Yeah I don't have the heart to just rip them off.

Bcompton53 said:
NEFarmwife said:
Bcompton53 said:

Thanks for making me feel like a smuck. :lol:

NEFarmwife said:
Bcompton53 said:
NEFarmwife said:

Thanks for making me feel like a smuck. :lol:

haha. Yeah maybe I'm a baby. I have enough trouble working our cattle through marginal facilities, I try not to give them any reason to avoid the chute.

You are not alone - I'm a smuck also!!!!
They are not 100% guaranteed - but they are a GREAT tool in the box. If I find one with a semi colored one, I observe for other signs and do not breed, but mark on calendar & watch close for subtle signs next time.
If totally scratched off, and I was expecting her to come in, we breed.
They are a tool that you can use as much or as little as your system warrants.

I really like the Standing Heat Patches. I think that they are easier to tell how long or how many times that they have been ridden. The Estrotect are easier to see if they've been rubbed but the Standing Heat patches turn almost white after being ridden really hard for a long time.
I think they help distinguish between false heats and the timing of first being ridden.

Ebenezer said:
What % cows do they help you catch that you would otherwise miss? Thanks.

Hard to put a percentage on it but it makes a huge difference in the "silent" heats or less active females.

Latest posts