Heart Issues

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I had mentioned that I was headed to the cardiologist on here a bit ago. It was not all sunshine and roses. I was born with Tetrology of Fallot which is a big deal. Basically I had a hole in my heart (ventral septal defect) and some issues with the pulmonary artery and valve. It's always been not that big a deal. One surgery and then just check ups. In December I had an echo and met with a new doc that specializes in adults with congenital defects. He sat down and started in on the questions. I don't know what it was but I could tell from about the second question that this was not the normal appointment. He launched in and my stomach just fell out. From then on in it was just a foggy blur.

So here's the deal. I have a halter monitor on for 2 weeks. Then I'm headed to an MRI to test the function. I will be having a pulmonary valve replacement (through a catheter) at some point. That's where I fell apart. The plan is to push it out as far as possible so the technology gets better. I do my testing, see him in a year, and then possible replacement in 5 years.

I have to say, it's the scariest thing I've ever had to go through in my life. I have had to work, so basically just sit here ruminating on it. Man, it's been tough. For my monitor I'm supposed to note any skipped beats or arrhythmia, which is all the time since I'm anxious out of my mind.

Have you considered getting another opinion? First part sounds like it is a big deal, then talking of another visit in a year and surgery in 5? As a 59 year old with a couple known anuerysisms, I just spent a ton of money and time with a new doctor that I thought was going to work out, naw, she was never ending on what she wanted tested. Found a new doctor and am very happy. So before you add a lot of stress, find another one and go through the same routine and see what their suggestions are. Wishing you well in all of this.

Have you considered getting another opinion? First part sounds like it is a big deal, then talking of another visit in a year and surgery in 5? As a 59 year old with a couple known anuerysisms, I just spent a ton of money and time with a new doctor that I thought was going to work out, naw, she was never ending on what she wanted tested. Found a new doctor and am very happy. So before you add a lot of stress, find another one and go through the same routine and see what their suggestions are. Wishing you well in all of this.
This guy is the second opinion. I saw a regular cardiologist (two actually b/c I didn't care too much for the first guy I saw 5 years ago) who made me get an appointment with this guy. The appointment dates are all based on the current echo, but will depend on the MRI. All I know is that I'm not thrilled about this.

It's way more common than you think. At an appointment with my son I belive they said some thing like 1 in 10 people have a some kind fo heart defect from birth.

I've talked about the guy I work work having his heart surgery. He was up and rolling in no time. I would not worry about it.

health problems are always a scary thing to deal with. everyone wants to go through life being happy and healthy, but very seldom does it go like that. my wife is going through some heart problems right now but hopefully not as serious as yours. I like the recommendation of getting a second opinion. good luck and take care of yourself.

I had mentioned that I was headed to the cardiologist on here a bit ago. It was not all sunshine and roses. I was born with Tetrology of Fallot which is a big deal. Basically I had a hole in my heart (ventral septal defect) and some issues with the pulmonary artery and valve. It's always been not that big a deal. One surgery and then just check ups. I will be having a pulmonary valve replacement (through a catheter) at some point.
Best of Luck to ya outwest.

Sounds somewhat similar to my baby brother. He had artificial heart valve put in 26 years ago. He's currently in hospital at Mayo Clinic with the plan being to put in a pacemaker today.... and I'm waiting to hear how it went.

"This guy is the second opinion. I saw a regular cardiologist (two actually b/c I didn't care too much for the first guy I saw 5 years ago) who made me get an appointment with this guy. The appointment dates are all based on the current echo, but will depend on the MRI. All I know is that I'm not thrilled about this."

I understand your lack of being thrilled. Did you take a third party into the room with you? It helps keep things in perspective and get things straight when our head gets in that fog due to the reality hitting you in the face. A third party can help interpret, ask for clarifications, etc. I am wishing the best outcome for you.

With those Cardiologist it is just another day at the office dealing with the heart, as fence said, you know your problem and now it can be fixed.

Last edited:
"This guy is the second opinion. I saw a regular cardiologist (two actually b/c I didn't care too much for the first guy I saw 5 years ago) who made me get an appointment with this guy. The appointment dates are all based on the current echo, but will depend on the MRI. All I know is that I'm not thrilled about this."

I understand your lack of being thrilled. Did you take a third party into the room with you? It helps keep things in perspective and get things straight when our head gets in that fog due to the reality hitting you in the face. A third party can help interpret, ask for clarifications, etc. I am wishing the best outcome for you.
Oh yeah, I had my wife with me, who...fell apart. He said "valve replacement" and she froze. She said her heart was racing and she was trying to keep from passing out. It's tough b/c there was as lot of information, but it seems as if he wasn't too concerned that it needed to be done right now.

How old are you Best? Just remember things haven't changed from before your visit to him so if you were getting by then it should be the same now. Don't wrap yourself up in cotton wool listening to every heartbeat.

Ken
I'll be 40 this year. You're absolutely correct, things haven't changed, but it's hard to remind myself of that.

Staring one's mortality in the face is the absolute worst experience. But I'm glad to know this so I can fix it and move one. It's just the waiting.

I keep telling myself that.
I was also born with VSD (the heart defect), and aortic stenosis. I wasn't supposed to live past 4 years old, because my heart wouldn't keep up with a growing body.
Fast forward a few years; the doctors were surprised. I've not had surgery (yet), just a couple "journey to the center of the earth" (internal photo ops, but never made it to publish).

The hole between the ventricles closed on its own by the time I was 14yo. Valve still has some cavitation issues, but none that have slowed me down.

I'm 52 now, and although the doc says I'll probably need a valve someday, he's been saying in 10-20 years, for 48 years now.

I'll send you my number via private message if you'd like to talk.