Gunboat diplomacy and other worldy issues.

Help Support CattleToday:

I think you meant Afghanistan. Russia is a big supporter of Iran and always has been since the fall of the Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi 41 years ago...

greybeard said:
I think you meant Afghanistan. Russia is a big supporter of Iran and always has been since the fall of the Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi 41 years ago...
Yes I did thanks for the correction.

haase said:
TexasBred said:
Call them symbols or whatever you wish the US military is expanding as well. China does not want to be the one to make the first mistake.
Russia didn't want to be the first to make a mistake either during the cold war, China sure doesn't want to ruffle feathers either, they already shot their self in the foot with covid, and they shown their true colors to other countries, if someone thinks Russia backing them is a big deal, they couldn't even defeat
Iran.

I see you mean Afghanistan.

No one has beaten them seems to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51689443

greggy said:
TexasBred said:
China does not want to be the one to make the first mistake.

That is the state we been in for a while, hoping someone does not make a mis calculation, or some system trigger something that goes off the rails.

I am not too confident in anyone to not make a grave mistake. They are agitating, not direct military agitation, but that is what it seems to me.

Saber rattling has been going on for ages. Use to be known as a bluff. China knows just how far they can go.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Think about what you just said from China's perspective vis a vis the US.

You are going to have to translate that for me.

China has a bunch of their eggs in our basket.

They need us a lot more than we need them. I just wish we would act like it.

HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:
You are going to have to translate that for me.

I don't know if that is a true statement.
We have went from a manufacturing nation to a consumer, service nation.
I am not so sure they aren't after our Ag now.
China plays the long game always has.

Caustic Burno said:
HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I don't know if that is a true statement.
We have went from a manufacturing nation to a consumer, service nation.
I am not so sure they aren't after our Ag now.
China plays the long game always has.
My point was that we import 4 to 5 times more from China than we export to China. We are China's number 1 customer.

The nation of 1.3 billion accounts for almost a fifth of the world's population, yet has just 7% of arable land. China is buying and leasing farm land all around the world. They are vertically integrating their food supply.

Hi all.

Take notice of this. Our PM is a conservative and lets a lot slip too keep the peace imo....i.e...he may have questioned more on many wars. But is not soft, no hawk though.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/dangerous-and-disorderly-pm-scott-morrisons-warning-on-postcovid-world/news-story/ff769cf2e430d6dcbfe118d1fdca442a

There is stuff going on via hotlines IMO while we are all distracted by virus and division....

China also has a vast amount of control in African and Asian countries, both from a trade perspective - buying cheap raw products, and selling rubbish quality manufactured goods back to these countries, and buying or otherwise "acquiring" mines, farms, factories, ports and airports etc. Their most popular method of acquisition is to grant large loans to governments, then where western countries write them off, they seize collateral in the form of factories etc. They have military bases and airforce bases in several countries, and are expanding their military influence there.

Has been the mode of operation in Pacific for some time.

US owes a lot too, so we all sold out to them....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8491801/amp/Chinese-state-media-says-aircraft-carrier-deployment-South-China-Sea-pleasure.html

greggy said:
Japan was the same not that long ago, big diff was, they were well and truly over expansionist desires.

We all bought Jap, even though they were often despised by many after the war. Basically most cars sold here would be Jap.

And it is not just the US, but all the West that has enabled them, largely due to our greed from corporates and our whole system, cannot blame them for selling and taking on our dirty work.

The thing with China though is, they have out and out said they are expanding, taking back what was once held by them, they are becoming dominant militarily, monetarily & stealing as much IP and data and info as they can.

We gave up most of our manufacturing long ago. We cannot function without others selling us stuff, GM just pulled the plug on the last cars made here after taking govt money, so we do not even make a local car anymore, we have ship yards but get stuff built OS, and on it goes. I am wary of Chinese intentions, but I cannot blame them for our reliance and greed.

Chevrolet builds Corvette in America..

Kingfisher said:
greggy said:
Japan was the same not that long ago, big diff was, they were well and truly over expansionist desires.

We all bought Jap, even though they were often despised by many after the war. Basically most cars sold here would be Jap.

And it is not just the US, but all the West that has enabled them, largely due to our greed from corporates and our whole system, cannot blame them for selling and taking on our dirty work.

The thing with China though is, they have out and out said they are expanding, taking back what was once held by them, they are becoming dominant militarily, monetarily & stealing as much IP and data and info as they can.

We gave up most of our manufacturing long ago. We cannot function without others selling us stuff, GM just pulled the plug on the last cars made here after taking govt money, so we do not even make a local car anymore, we have ship yards but get stuff built OS, and on it goes. I am wary of Chinese intentions, but I cannot blame them for our reliance and greed.

And what does that have to do with the price of fish ?...... see what I did there :)

I am down under BTW....we make next to zip, and I have to watch US citizens crying over immigrants and Chinese rip offs as if they are Robinson Crusoe.....

I would hate too see some trying to cope with things here, as well as no 2nd amendment, be careful what you say, only good things is, it is pretty safe & a good health system.

So 2 decades ago govt confiscated many guns, they called it a buy back, back then, you could also go fishing if you were able, not now, you have to inform the govt and pay a fee.....lol....lucky I do not like fish, but that is an example of the idiocy we put up with. It is ok though, maybe they been collecting those fees to pay for a new US missile shield ???

greggy said:
Kingfisher said:
greggy said:

And what does that have to do with the price of fish ?...... see what I did there :)

I am down under BTW....we make next to zip, and I have to watch US citizens crying over immigrants and Chinese rip offs as if they are Robinson Crusoe.....

I would hate too see some trying to cope with things here, as well as no 2nd amendment, be careful what you say, only good things is, it is pretty safe & a good health system.

So 2 decades ago govt confiscated many guns, they called it a buy back, back then, you could also go fishing if you were able, not now, you have to inform the govt and pay a fee.....lol....lucky I do not like fish, but that is an example of the idiocy we put up with. It is ok though, maybe they been collecting those fees to pay for a new US missile shield ???

I was just starting think you might be ok and there you went and said you don't fish.......

callmefence said:
greggy said:
Kingfisher said:

I was just starting think you might be ok and there you went and said you don't fish.......

lol....nah, no water round here, grew up near water, found fishing too boring and was easy for me, and now you have to tell gov and pay monies, no way.....my stock keep me busy :)

Social score going down :)

This could be relevant in a few threads....

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/china-trade-war-why-does-beijing-hate-australia-and-the-us/news-story/0af849ef7795aae9e373f7c28d3bd0f1

Something is going on in the Pacific again it seems...

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/south-china-sea-us-clash-with-china-now-inevitable/news-story/d2b0abefef53a0199828c5ecb01091a1

Just FYI.

There was something that happened a few days ago too, seems to be un reported.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/south-china-sea-australian-warships-confronted-by-chinese-fleet/news-story/b3645863207f10b925a7d2e950d8c46b

greggy said:
Just FYI.

There was something that happened a few days ago too, seems to be un reported.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/south-china-sea-australian-warships-confronted-by-chinese-fleet/news-story/b3645863207f10b925a7d2e950d8c46b

I caught that on the news a day or two ago. I was gonna post about it but I was worried I might might scare you greggy.....lol

This one scared me.....they just turned up, in our largest cities harbour....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-china-navy/china-warships-leave-sydney-after-surprise-visit-raises-hackles-idUSKCN1T80FO

TBH, I reckon it is on....we are just waiting till the menace is large enough to kill us, just like pre WW2.