Health question

Help Support CattleToday:

fawkesitall

Reaction score
I tried to do some searching but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I feel like it's a health question.

Had a 2 year old British White cow we butchered Saturday.
She had a vaginal prolapse, last May and calved mid-July. She remained to raise her calf, put on some meat so we could butcher her this spring/summer. She started prolapsing again two weeks ago, and Saturday luckily we were able to put her out of her misery and a butcher had room for her.

My question is when she was being gutted the guy said it was really weird. Usually their insides fall out but hers did not. It was like her stomach and organs was stuck. I was just curious if that really isn't that unusual or is some sign of condition/ailment??
I mean this guy does this for part of his living. Killing cows,skinning,gutting them, and hauling meat to which butcher you'd prefer. So I can only imagine how many times he's done this.

I was there, but kept at a distance, just checking now and again as they went through the process. It wasn't till he was done cutting things and had them loaded I went to see if the husband found out anything. That's all the guy said about it.

She definitely didn't have a long frame, and her stomach/rib area seemed more rounded. She was probably doomed to begin with but ya live and learn. I know someone had said once they prolapse things just come out again. Just don't see much information about it when they are not pregnant. On this cow owner journey I'm trying to learn what I can. I love this forum for people to share their experiences and wisdom.

A vaginal prolapse is pretty localised to the outside and should not affect anything within the abdominal cavity. For the guts to not slide out as they should sounds like she has had some adhesions which is when they try to heal damage to the slippery surfaces of the guts and abdominal wall. Surfaces get healed together which would stop them from sliding out. Peritonitis from things like wire penetrating the gut causing spillage could do it. If she was lucky this could heal over as her immune system dealt with the infection and the lace like fat the omentum plugged the hole. This is just one example of what could have done it, a caesarian, gunshot, trocar to relieve bloat, lots of things.

Ken