Health Program

Help Support CattleToday:

If your bull calves are too big already just crimp them you won't have any wory about tetanus I know some people are worried crimping all the goods but I never had a problem with it.

twabscs":3t7v2f2g said:
Also, this is the phrase that bothers me about the Bovi-Shield: "Do not use in calves nursing pregnant cows unless their dams were vaccinated within the past 12 months as described above."

Are you saying that since I'm vaccinating both the cow and calf at the same time, I'm okay because its "within the past 12 months", i.e., today?

Thanks!

Tom

Take a second look at that statement. "Do not use in calves nursing pregnant cows unless their dams were vaccinated within the past 12 months as described above." If your cows are not pregnant - aka open - then you're safe to use the stuff on both the cows and the calves nursing them.

msscamp":3t7v2f2g said:
If one plans to vaccinate at the time of castrating, there really is no need to incorporate tetanus into a long-term vaccine, is there? A one-time vaccination will provide protection and possibly save a person money in the long run.

I agree with you.

twabscs":3t7v2f2g said:
Geez, see how complicated this stuff is? So, I really would need to wait until after the second Covexin booster before banding, or, use an antitoxin instead at the time of banding, If'n I was going to do this by the book? I know most here don't worry about the Tetanus when banding, but I'm trying to do this right.

Correct.

I haven't worried about tetanus before; I band all my bull calves and have never given a tetanus anything. Vaccine or antitoxin. Never had a problem with tetanus and I've done a lot of calves. *knock on wood* However...way calf prices are right now, it probably isn't a bad idea to spend 30 cents a calf or whatever it'll be just-in-case. 30 cent shot compared to 500+ dollar calf at the auction in a few months...isn't too hard a choice, is it? LOL.

Take a second look at that statement. "Do not use in calves nursing pregnant cows unless their dams were vaccinated within the past 12 months as described above." If your cows are not pregnant - aka open - then you're safe to use the stuff on both the cows and the calves nursing them.

Thanks milkmaid, I see the distinction now.

I haven't worried about tetanus before; I band all my bull calves and have never given a tetanus anything. Vaccine or antitoxin. Never had a problem with tetanus and I've done a lot of calves. *knock on wood* However...way calf prices are right now, it probably isn't a bad idea to spend 30 cents a calf or whatever it'll be just-in-case. 30 cent shot compared to 500+ dollar calf at the auction in a few months...isn't too hard a choice, is it? LOL.

Okay, I get it. It's really up to me at this point, how best to proceed. Thanks for the help on this!

msscamp said:
You might also consider the benefits of deworming twice a year, instead of one. That is generally the norm and will take care of any eggs the cows pick up during summer grazing - particularly if you utilize rented pasture. /quote]

Totally agree! You might also want to alternate types of wormers; maybe a pour on then something like Valbazen the next time. Cows running behind a herd that has never been wormed can have some real serious parasite problems.

Norris

Latest posts