Health papers to cross state lines.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
Needing health papers to cross state lines is a joke. I've hauled bulls to NC, FL, and SC now and not the first DOT agent got in the trailer to check tattoos. It sure would be entertaining to see a DOT officer in a trailer full of bulls trying to read a tattoo.
I'm surprised they don't require EID tags to cross state lines. That way they could just stick the reader and figure out who's who. Why waste everyone's time when there not doing anything, government bs at it's finest.

When I lived in CA, we had to have brand inspection papers just to go within the state (when I took FFA kids to fairs and such, and the steers had to have the paperwork or were not allowed on the fairgrounds). When we take cattle to regional and the National show (in another state most years), we have to have health papers. The vet checks the papers when the cattle are checked in for the show. But the only time I was stopped for paperwork was when we left CA heading to MO, and that was at the livestock inspection station.

No weigh stations or Ag inspections? I get health papers from a vet and the DOT makes a copy, stamps it and sends me on my way. The DOT has never waved me by when I had any cattle on the trailer. Empty I get waved by every time.

No Ag inspections anywhere I haul. Drive by the weigh stations. As far as they know it's not commercial. Most time it's my cattle so it's not commercial.

"STEERS" don't need RFID tags, but I believe to cross state lines now, you need them. It is mandatory for shows out here, and for sales - breeding cattle of all ages.

Here's an article:
UPDATED: JANUARY 11, 2018
The United States Department of Agriculture has implemented the Animal Disease Traceability program. Each state requires that all cattle leaving the state must have an official tag. If you are selling any animals to the livestock market you should tag the animal prior to leaving your dairy.

Which cattle require official ear tags?

Dairy breed cattle (including cows, bulls, steers, and calves)
Beef breed cattle older than 18 months
Cattle of any age used for rodeos, shows, and exhibitions
You may obtain official tags from your veterinarian or your state Department of Agriculture regional office. An official tag must have the US shield symbol.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":19zbo6rm said:
"STEERS" don't need RFID tags, but I believe to cross state lines now, you need them. It is mandatory for shows out here, and for sales - breeding cattle of all ages.

Here's an article:
The United States Department of Agriculture has implemented the Animal Disease Traceability program. Each state requires that all cattle leaving the state must have an official tag. If you are selling any animals to the livestock market you should tag the animal prior to leaving your dairy.

You may obtain official tags from your veterinarian or your state Department of Agriculture regional office. An official tag must have the US shield symbol.

I would like to see a breeding steer. :cowboy:

:lol:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":4nys1bww said:

Here's an article:

If I'm reading this correctly i need to tag them before i sell a slaughter cow out of state. I have sold in VA, KY, and TN in the last month and havent heard it mentioned.

All of the cows and calves at side and bulls get blood drawn. Since they all are tattooed that information all goes on the interstate papers. Nobody has mentioned if they were checked but I was talking a while back with a guy that had his checked and he didn;t have them. Ended up having everything quarentines AT HIS COST

dun":1gg6b7p2 said:
All of the cows and calves at side and bulls get blood drawn. Since they all are tattooed that information all goes on the interstate papers. Nobody has mentioned if they were checked but I was talking a while back with a guy that had his checked and he didn;t have them. Ended up having everything quarentines AT HIS COST
I didn't get stopped, I pulled into the check stations. The bulls all had ear tags "Red for Simmental and Orange for SimAngus" and EID tags in their ears also. The officers just never checked them. And as far as I'm concerned how could they without a catch pen and head gate.

MRRherefords":5hrpuqpz said:
I live on the Mason Dixon line and near WV and not far from Ohio either. Never been stopped. Just a pain in the butt.
I think a lot of it has to do with what state you are entering and what state you are leaving. The folks that bought this farm bought a load of Hereford bred heifers and they got stopped coming from tx to MO But that was during the height of the trich and bangs problems tx was having.

I bought a bull out of Michigan and he had his traveling papers all ready. Never got stopped on the way back, but about a week and a half later a guy knocked on my front door from the Texas Agriculture Department. He was looking for the bull's TB test record. Apparently, there was a mix up and the Michigan vet didn't test him for it. The guy was pretty serious about me not taking him out of quarantine until he was tested. He turned out clear and all was good.

Hog people have been caught coming back from the big sale at Duncan, OK and they had their animals quarantined. Heard rumors of a fine but none that I ever verified.

Well hauled 12 head cows to KY and then picked up 7 slaughter cows back to TN. Didn't get stopped. But was some talk that KY DOT had been giving tickets if you were driving a dual wheel pickup pulling a trailer and Didn't have a CDL license. Never heard of that either.

You are supposed to have DOT # on all trucks hauling trailers. You need a CDL if the combined weight is ?? 21,000# ??
My dually hooked to my trailer is definately over the limit, but neither my nephew or I have a CDL. I do have DOT # on truck.

Latest posts