Health papers to cross state lines.

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a friend who has the same brand registered in both Washington and Oregon. The Oregon brand people told him that he would still have to have his cattle brand inspected when crossing the state line. he told me that he would probably have a hard time remembering which state he put them into his trailer.

Jeanne, these are my cattle,
In KY and TN most cattle trailers don't even have a license plate. In VA we are allowed 50 miles without one. Mine is licensed. Have never seen a dually with a DOT number. I do have CDL but not for that reason.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":n087lkp9 said:
You are supposed to have DOT # on all trucks hauling trailers. You need a CDL if the combined weight is ?? 21,000# ??
My dually hooked to my trailer is definately over the limit, but neither my nephew or I have a CDL. I do have DOT # on truck.
The new law kicks in at 26001 gross weight. It pretty much means most people hauling cattle (and horses, pigs, sheep, etc) whether they are yours or someone else's, now need a CDL and ELD (electronic log). Having or not having a DOT number will not exempt you. Having a Not for Hire signage will not excempt you. If I recall correctly, the only people exempt from the ELD portion are those that stay withing 150 miles (as the crow flies) from home.The main change is the ELD part, most people fall under needing a CDL anyway, but it's not enforced as much (except in Iowa in my experience!) If you are hauling any livestock, including horses, for any type of monetary gain (prize money, marketing purposes, animals to sales or for hire) you NEED to look up the new FEDERAL mandates on this. I think they are BS, but it pays to know the rules at least..... :2cents:

There's different classes of CDL licenses and you need one if your commercial "business". COMMERCIAL is the magic word. You can drive a Simi as long as it's for personal use. I have a CDL and DOT numbers but don't use the numbers or have to take the physicals, drug test anymore since I have a few different LLC's. Whatever I'm hauling I'm not making my living at, or charging for. There's ways to work around the problems. And the DOT can be a major problem.

Boot Jack Bulls":f54r9r81 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":f54r9r81 said:
You are supposed to have DOT # on all trucks hauling trailers. You need a CDL if the combined weight is ?? 21,000# ??
My dually hooked to my trailer is definately over the limit, but neither my nephew or I have a CDL. I do have DOT # on truck.
The new law kicks in at 26001 gross weight. It pretty much means most people hauling cattle (and horses, pigs, sheep, etc) whether they are yours or someone else's, now need a CDL and ELD (electronic log). Having or not having a DOT number will not exempt you. Having a Not for Hire signage will not excempt you. If I recall correctly, the only people exempt from the ELD portion are those that stay withing 150 miles (as the crow flies) from home.The main change is the ELD part, most people fall under needing a CDL anyway, but it's not enforced as much (except in Iowa in my experience!) If you are hauling any livestock, including horses, for any type of monetary gain (prize money, marketing purposes, animals to sales or for hire) you NEED to look up the new FEDERAL mandates on this. I think they are BS, but it pays to know the rules at least..... :2cents:
Great post, dead on the money for the most part. Do not haul anything for money or a living. By law a kid delivering pizza needs a CDL. I've fought with these knuckle heads for years, and finally got to a lieutenant that helped me through it all. He came out to do a vehicle inspection at the farm for my DOT numbers. I was pulling corn and the wife was feeding cows. He said I was a farmer and didn't need DOT numbers to haul my boats even though they weighed over 30k pounds combined weight. After that I just give any officer that stops me his number and in 5 minutes I was free to go. I've only been stopped once since we figured it out though.

In Va, any DAIRY or dairy cross animals needs the official state tag. It can be a metal tag or an electronic one. Our local stockyard charges $1.50 per tag for any dairy animals. Even baby calves. The state supplies them to a farmer, and any vet can supply a box of 100 tags. But the box of tags has to be "registered " to your farm and premise ID, if you tag them yourself. If the stockyard does it, the number is supposed to be recorded as having been put in with the name of the owner and address etc. Any cow sold for breeding has to have an ID tag. All slaughter cattle do not need tags. The big deal with the dairy breeds was due to the "mad cow disease" and traceability. 99% of the dairy females are tagged anyway; if nothing else when they are bangs vaccinated. Problem with that it is no longer mandatory to bangs vaccinate. But every dairy farm I milk test for tags every female that they keep on the farm. And most have a separate box of tags to put in anything that goes to the stockyards.

If it looks "beef" enough, and is under 18 months then no tags. If it is sold for breeding purposes, then it needs a tag.

I believe that this is not only for traceability for disease purposes, but it will also give gov't knowledge of how many animals and eventually will aide in taxation for something stupid like contribution to greenhouse gases or something....

Latest posts