Headliner son Heifer side shot + a few more

Help Support CattleToday:

rocket2222

Reaction score
Took a couple pics this evening, it was getting dark pretty quick, had to use flash to get these, didn't have time to get a good shot of any of them.
This is the heifer that someone wanted a side shot of.

IMG_0644a.jpg

IMG_0647a.jpg

This is a full sister to the gal above, one year younger, not quite as good, but I thought good enough to give her a shot and see what see would do.

IMG_0648a.jpg

This one's full sister to the other calf I had pictured with her,[in the other topic] again one year younger.
I kept her and her sister mainly because of their momma. She had just finnished p--ing, and it was dark by then.

IMG_0653a.jpg

This is a older pic I found. Shows not all his calves had eye pigment even when momma had a little :) Calf's about 6 months old [steer]. Thats pops at the back of the pic.

DSCN0595a.jpg

Those are some nice herefords, makes me miss ours. :) We do have one token hereford though. Sometimes I just go out and look at her to ease the eyestrain caused by all the black ones. :)

dont see that their pallet head's . they are kinda masculine looking females though looking at the calf looks like they must have adequate milk nice thick cattle

Very nice looking Herefords, I would say you are most certainly going in the right direction, I hope to be that way someday.

Alan

Limomike":3f722404 said:
I am just curious as to where you would like them to be?

I still want what just about everybody else whats, lower birth weights, more growth more consistency in each calf crop, better structure, better moving, more pigment and I've not even started on ribeye, IMF, back fat, yet. Although I'm hoping that having the thicker cattle will at least help with the ribeye. Thats going to be my next kinda big thing-getting the calves scanned every year. Oh, all most forgot, I've had a little luck showing a couple of calves, so a National Champion bull or 3 and maybe a couple National Champion heifers would be nice :)

TNMasterBeefProducer":2z45jolp said:
Ahhhhhhhh more pallett head herefords. Look like good pallett heads.

You need to do a little research on this Mr TNMasterBeefProducer, then you would know that the pallett headed Herefords are actually more desirable than say "sheep headed ones" or the "shovel headed ones" but maybe not quite as good as the "hammer heads". This of course is due to the larger heads at weaning adding valuable pounds [at no cost to the breeder] so adding more $ in are pockets :)

ALACOWMAN":2wv65xr9 said:
dont see that their pallet head's . they are kinda masculine looking females though looking at the calf looks like they must have adequate milk nice thick cattle

All these symptoms are probably due to the large amounts of Male Growth Hormone I put in there feed every day. :D

TNMasterBeefProducer":22megt2x said:

Herefords are very unique creatures aren't they? Not too many breeds of cattle have interesting visual features so vivid like their white face, don't you agree? I can even see my little white faced calves against the 1/2 mile away tree line like a white tailed deer (hope they don't get shot because our creator gave them this unique coloring to be mistaken for a deer). Now we can get rid of this large headed feature of Herefords by breeding it out, or we can let mother nature take its course and let the head size evolve as it has for thousands of years. It may even get larger almost like an elephant. Now I wonder if their head size is related to being so efficient. What do you think?

I think alot of the big head look comes from the bald face againts a darker body. i got a couple blaze face black simmi that look roman nosed due too the way their marked.

HerefordSire":15qohuee said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":15qohuee said:

Herefords are very unique creatures aren't they? Not too many breeds of cattle have interesting visual features so vivid like their white face, don't you agree? I can even see my little white faced calves against the 1/2 mile away tree line like a white tailed deer (hope they don't get shot because our creator gave them this unique coloring to be mistaken for a deer). Now we can get rid of this large headed feature of Herefords by breeding it out, or we can let mother nature take its course and let the head size evolve as it has for thousands of years. It may even get larger almost like an elephant. Now I wonder if their head size is related to being so efficient. What do you think?

breed the perceived big heads out if you want, and then come tell us if they still have the qualities that made herefords popular in the first place.

rocket2222":y6y9hwsz said:
Took a couple pics this evening, it was getting dark pretty quick, had to use flash to get these, didn't have time to get a good shot of any of them.
This is the heifer that someone wanted a side shot of.

IMG_0644a.jpg

IMG_0647a.jpg

This is a full sister to the gal above, one year younger, not quite as good, but I thought good enough to give her a shot and see what see would do.

IMG_0648a.jpg

This one's full sister to the other calf I had pictured with her,[in the other topic] again one year younger.

I was the one wanting a side shot. Very good looking cattle
I wish I had a pasture full of Pallet heads just like them :D

I do think you are going in the right direction. JHH

Is that a 5000 ford tractor in the background?

they look a little masculine to me to but otherwise nice. does that #4 have a little edema going on under her jaw?

Latest posts