Headgate

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
I got a good deal on a headgate for cattle. It is an automatic catch and it worked a time or two perfect then the bull came thru and he was to large to get thru the opening in the catch gate. I opened it up for him and caught him just fine. Next 2 cows came thru got thru the catch except for their hips. I gave vaccines and pneumonia vaccine anyway and finally got them out. Now I'm confused on where I need to set it for the cows. Would 5-1/2 to 6" neck opening be ok for the cows? They weigh about 1250 to 1350 lbs I guess. They are beef cattle, Angus, Charolais, and Herford. It adjusts in and out at the bottom and at the top of the catch mechanism. I think it adjust from 5" to 14" for the neck catch. I wish I could remember where it was set before we moved it. It is an older model buys was working good. I think it's a Pieter brand but not sure. I try and get a picture of it tomorrow. Thanks.

I got a good deal on a headgate for cattle. It is an automatic catch and it worked a time or two perfect then the bull came thru and he was to large to get thru the opening in the catch gate. I opened it up for him and caught him just fine. Next 2 cows came thru got thru the catch except for their hips. I gave vaccines and pneumonia vaccine anyway and finally got them out. Now I'm confused on where I need to set it for the cows. Would 5-1/2 to 6" neck opening be ok for the cows? They weigh about 1250 to 1350 lbs I guess. They are beef cattle, Angus, Charolais, and Herford. It adjusts in and out at the bottom and at the top of the catch mechanism. I think it adjust from 5" to 14" for the neck catch. I wish I could remember where it was set before we moved it. It is an older model buys was working good. I think it's a Pieter brand but not sure. I try and get a picture of it tomorrow. Thanks.
Set it in the middle as a starting point and go from there. That's probably a little tight for mature cows. There should also be a fine adjustment screw that can be changed to adjust how far open the doors can go.

Thanks, like I said it's an older version and I'm sure the newer ones today have all the bells and whistles but this one has only 2 moves of a pin on top and bottom of each side of the neck catch part. Now that you mentioned this, the fine tune maybe just moving one side only in or out depending on what I need? Also maybe just moving one step over on the top and none on the bottom? Like you said I'll just have to try experimenting with it. I definitely don't want it too tight but then I don't want to catch by the hips either anymore. I just thought maybe a 6-1/2 to 7inch when closed might be a good place to start without choking too tight. Thanks

IDK, but in over 50 years (40 in veterinary medicine) of working cattle, I never encountered a 'self-catching' headgate that I trusted to catch them on its own, and I've seen too many instances of cows getting through and hanging up at the hips, requiring dismantling of the assembly to get them out... have had a couple that I thought we were gonna have to shoot the cow and cut her up to get her carcass out.

I thought I replied but don't see it. Thanks for the response. As I stated this is an old headgate and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the new ones do. I'll just have play with it and see. If I set it about 7 inch neck opening do you think that would be enough.? Mind has 2 slots with pins to move it in and out on to and bottom of neck catching part. When it's set right it works good. It is heavy built. Thanks again.
After I reposted now I see my first post and can't see how to delete this one. Sorry

I used to split them up. Big calves with the cows. Small calves in a side pen. Bulls isolated in a medina until I finished the cows. Run the cows and large calves thru first since that was always the biggest group and usually over 100. Calves next so that the momma cows hanging around would clear out. Bulls last.

My portable working pen has a self catch. You have to get them moving hard into it for it to work properly. It does swing both ways so if I catch one by the hips its no big deal. But I prefer a squeeze since it is more adjustable for cattle sizing.

In my childhood all we ever had was medina hinged pens. We made it just fine. Worked hundreds of my dad's and grandad's cows in medinas.

I used to split them up. Big calves with the cows. Small calves in a side pen. Bulls isolated in a medina until I finished the cows. Run the cows and large calves thru first since that was always the biggest group and usually over 100. Calves next so that the momma cows hanging around would clear out. Bulls last.

My portable working pen has a self catch. You have to get them moving hard into it for it to work properly. It does swing both ways so if I catch one by the hips its no big deal. But I prefer a squeeze since it is more adjustable for cattle sizing.

In my childhood all we ever had was medina hinged pens. We made it just fine. Worked hundreds of my dad's and grandad's cows in medinas.
I took some photo shots this evening of head gate I am referring to. Please see attached:
10C070BB-8B0E-4681-9540-5F7DE0AE1DF7.jpeg

TColvin that looks just like the one I have on my portable pens. identical it seems. That one will swing both ways. I've never put mine on wood. I hope you have that adequately restrained. I have heard stories of bulls running around pastures wearing a portable head gate.

Sad story ! An old timer gave me a squeeze that was all torn apart and had brush growing up thru it. I'm not sure all the pieces were there because it was seriously scattered. I never went and picked it up. Kick myself over and over but it was identical to one of my old squeeze chutes I acquired when I bought a farm that it was on. So I had a good guide.

Latest posts