How long can a cow stay in a headgate?

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith":kda8378e said:
Most headbails I've worked with around two minutes is the longest I'll turn round and leave them unsupervised... long enough to fetch something. If she collapses for any reason she may start choking against the lower bar.
Actual time in the headbail isn't that important if the cow isn't stressed or getting hungry. I've left calving cows standing in the chute (not locked in the headbail) for as long as two hours waiting for a vet. Of course, if I'd known the vet was going to take two hours to get there I might not have done.

Bez, the first dairy I worked in the cows had a neck chain in their stalls, the chain was left on overnight in winter. That used to be just normal. I've helped out on other farms that have their cows 24/7 chained in their stalls.
Any cow really close to calving, instead of connecting up the chain we tied it with a light piece of string. I don't think we ever had a broken string while I was there, the cows could lie down and turn their heads back with the chains on anyway.
If anyone suggested I do that to the free-range cows I have today I'd be horrified... and so would they.

Never used chain ties - just the old head gate - two solid metal bars running up both sides of the neck - cows did all right and we milked then right there.

We calved right in the head gates.

All in what they get used to I guess.

Be safe

Bez

interesting ? and responses
what happens in Inyati's headgate stays in the headgate
lol :lol:

I've thought of this, and it seems to me that sometimes the longer they are in there the more agitated/tired they get. Different chutes prob. are different too along with cattle temperment, and I guess I'd be sure they're necks are not being squeezed to tight. I'll admit, when I first started AI'ing, some of those cows were standing there for a while... and they all survived (although i'm sure a few were wondering :shock: )
jenna

I have Stronghold chute, tub and alley. I sort off what I need to breed up to around 6-8 head of beef cows/beef heifers or dairy heifers and get one in the chute (not caught in head gate) and another in alley caught by a can't back. I walk 50 feet to truck make matings, thaw 2 straws and walk back and get to work. 99.9% of the time they are fine. When beef cows are in the mix only thing had happen is cows in tub started pushing and got cow down in the alley. If I have 8 to breed I guess they are in tub to alley to chute and gone in 30 mins or less most times?

Most of my cows are now really easy to work after a few years of them knowing just go to tub and stand and wait for your turn.

After I left one caught in headgate and came back and she went down I will never do that again. Holstein of course. DUMB!

Latest posts