cow down because headgate was too tight?

Help Support CattleToday:

Don McCallum":3mfwvww1 said:
If the cow has not been given meds that are unsafe and is in good shape, I would talk with the slaughter barn manager and get me a lot of hamburger meat.
It sounds like he is a young man that is just starting out, and I bet he doesn't have ins. I would cut my losses. Things happen in this business.

I'm pretty sure an inspected processing plant cannot process downer cattle.

crimsoncrazy":3cwaj38h said:
Don McCallum":3cwaj38h said:
If the cow has not been given meds that are unsafe and is in good shape, I would talk with the slaughter barn manager and get me a lot of hamburger meat.
It sounds like he is a young man that is just starting out, and I bet he doesn't have ins. I would cut my losses. Things happen in this business.

I'm pretty sure an inspected processing plant cannot process downer cattle.
That is correct, the have to be ambulatory. He might good get someone to accept the carcass if he kills it and dresses it before hand, but it's not very likely

If the meat is ok for human consumption, I would do the processing myself. I have processed hogs and deer. This would just
be a larger animal and would take longer. I have a 3/4 hp Lem grinder, and it is very fast.
I also know some people that process deer. Do they have government inspectors?

Don McCallum":mej22pgo said:
If the meat is ok for human consumption, I would do the processing myself. I have processed hogs and deer. This would just
be a larger animal and would take longer. I have a 3/4 hp Lem grinder, and it is very fast.
I also know some people that process deer. Do they have government inspectors?
Around here the deer processors are all inspected and licensed. If the cow is really stressed I would wuationhow toothsome the meat would be. I would just grind the whole thing if I did it myself.

diamondsfarmsc":1y0x8b8u said:
I had a cattle farrier trim a few of my beef cows friday. When one of the cows came out of the headgate she went down on her front knees and has been down since. A couple of vets have told me it is spinal front a lack of oxygen because of the headgate being too tight. Another vet says could be a pinched nerve. Anyone ever had this happen? If so, what should I be doing for her and what are the chance she will ever get up?

We had this happen, but had a good outcome. We were actually at the vet's, and were branding (freeze) for the first time with the vet (who had never branded). She was a bred heifer, and most of the time she was in the chute she was pushed up against the head gate. When we released her, she immediately came crashing out. She was my daughter's good show heifer, and to watch her scramble all over the floor and not be able to stand put us all in tears!!! I kept asking Doc if she broke her front legs, and he would tell me in a calm, quiet voice, to give her a few minutes that she likely just pinched her nerves. Once she stopped scrambling, he tied her head up to give her support to get her to stand, which she did after 15 minutes or so, but her front legs were wobbly. We went back to branding and finishing up our appointment and by the time we were done and ready to load she was back to her normal self.
Scared the beegebers out of me (and my daughter), but ended well. He said in all his career, he has only seen it once or twice, but they always get up and recover.

I have heard the same about animals being under stress when killed, and we have killed many deer still hunting (no stress), and deer in front of
hounds (stress). We have never been able to tell the difference in the meat. I guess our southern taste buds are not sophisticated enough.

well she seems to be taking a turn for the worse this morning. Her respiratory rate is around 100. The vet says she is probably developing a respiratory infection from laying still so long. He says if I am considering slaughter that I should probably go ahead and do that. This really sucks.

a friend told me that the steaks from a 6 year old grass fed cow would be tough. He said he would grind most of the meat. Any thoughts on how to process the meat?

diamondsfarmsc":ikj0t2pt said:
a friend told me that the steaks from a 6 year old grass fed cow would be tough. He said he would grind most of the meat. Any thoughts on how to process the meat?
Your friend is right

Latest posts