headgate question

Help Support CattleToday:

pits4life

Reaction score
I have recently bought a chute that is approx. built in the 1970's. The headgate is a self-catch style and is chain driven ,the chain runs in a figure 8 pattern,but the chain was missing due to the fact that the gentleman said the chain kept breaking. It requires a #50 chain,I cant believe it would break but however what I was wondering if you all could help me with converting it to a straight piece of metal that wold replace the chain design,I hope you all can understand what I would like to doand help me with that design if it could work. Thanks for all input .....

Thanks Angus I understand I have been trying but it seems to only go half way open either way and bind up and I not getting it right yet but THANKS for the reply......

If you can go look at a Big Valley (Belen) or Powder River head gate, It would really help you out they work as good as any. If I get a chance I will try to take some pictures of one of the Powder Rivers. We about killed the vet one time with an old light chain driven catch. Souix Steel has vidios in the internet of their system, it is a really good design.@

You can replace the chain with a piece of flat or angle iron. Attach one end to a pivot bolt at the 12:00 o'clock position of one sprocket and run it diagonally with the other end connected to a pivot bolt at the 6:00 o'clock position on the other sprocket. You may need to weld a tab to each sprocket to use as a pivot point.

Thanks Texas,but if I can explain it right I believe I have done that.I welded a piece of flat metal approx. 5 in. long on on the top of each side of the headgate,one was facing the rear of headgate and the other was facing the opposite way ,so I would consider that at 12 and the other at 6. It does open to the rear and to the front but not all the way, in either direction in comes to a certain point and binds/stops,I really dont understand why,theoretically it suppose to work but doesnt,I hope I have explained it clear enough for you,is there something I left out? Thanks for all your input...

pits4life":5le32pzc said:
Thanks Texas,but if I can explain it right I believe I have done that.I welded a piece of flat metal approx. 5 in. long on on the top of each side of the headgate,one was facing the rear of headgate and the other was facing the opposite way ,so I would consider that at 12 and the other at 6. It does open to the rear and to the front but not all the way, in either direction in comes to a certain point and binds/stops,I really dont understand why,theoretically it suppose to work but doesnt,I hope I have explained it clear enough for you,is there something I left out? Thanks for all your input...

Sounds like you did what I described and that should work. Would suggest looking closely for what is causing it to bind. Try removing whatever connects between the 2 pieces you welded on. Now rotate each half of the headgate separately and observe how far in and out each can move. Try to determine what limits the range of motion for each 1/2 of the headgate separately. Then reconnect the link between the 2 sides of the headgate and compare the range of motion when connected to the unconnected range. This should help narrow the posibilites. My Powder River chute will open outward until both halves are parallel while the inward movement is limited by an adjustable stop screw that you use to set the correct width to catch the size animal you are working. However it will not open as wide to the inside as to the outside.

Hope this helps you narrow it down

pits4life":2zvob9ci said:
sounds like what it is doing is getting to Dead Center and needs to go beyond dead center

say 9 and 9 is where it is stopping and in reality it needs to go to 10 and 8 to open as far as you are wanting you might be able to put a separate linkage in the nmiddle and connect both sides to it independently and then it should go over center

or you might move your rod from 12 and 6 to 1 and 7 or 5 and 11 and fix the problem just have to play with it and see what minor adjustments are needed it should work will just take some fine tuning

Angus Cowman":3u73usbu said:
pits4life":3u73usbu said:
sounds like what it is doing is getting to Dead Center and needs to go beyond dead center

say 9 and 9 is where it is stopping and in reality it needs to go to 10 and 8 to open as far as you are wanting you might be able to put a separate linkage in the nmiddle and connect both sides to it independently and then it should go over center

or you might move your rod from 12 and 6 to 1 and 7 or 5 and 11 and fix the problem just have to play with it and see what minor adjustments are needed it should work will just take some fine tuning

AC your thinking is correct. I just went out and looked at my Powder River. With the headgate in the closed position the arms are at the 10:30 and 4:30 positions. This allows adequate movement without overcentering.

Daddy always told me 2 heads are better than one. Now if I could just find mine.

Texas PaPaw":f3x2lslo said:
Angus Cowman":f3x2lslo said:
pits4life":f3x2lslo said:

AC your thinking is correct. I just went out and looked at my Powder River. With the headgate in the closed position the arms are at the 10:30 and 4:30 positions. This allows adequate movement without overcentering.

Daddy always told me 2 heads are better than one. Now if I could just find mine.
Granpa always said even a Blind hog finds an acorn every now and then
This must of been mine :lol: :lol:

Thanks to all ,you have been alot of help,I have had time to fool with it yet but with you alls help I sure have a good start.....Thank You :tiphat:

Latest posts