Head Gate

Help Support CattleToday:

Billdevaul

Reaction score
Im just getting started in the cattle buisness and found what i think was a good deal on a manual head gate. I paid $100.00 for it.

questions:
1. can anyone tell me what brand this is and how well they work.

2. i need some input on how to mount it i have heard both steel pipe and wood poles, I have some 6 and 8 inch wood poles i could bury in concrete and bolt thru. would that be adequate?

i have a decent sized pen and im going to build a chute off that and install it at the end. also do i need a side gate or can they exit ok thru the front when its opened...
headgate_3.JPG

head_gate_2.JPG

headgate_1.JPG

I'm not sure of the brand but you got your moneys worth. Its not a very heavy built headgate but it will work for a small herd. Most of them will be able to exit out the front. It looks like someone has painted it but it looks to be sound. It is mounted by the 4 brackets as seen from the back. No heavier than it is you can mount it to wooden post set in the ground. You may have to put in a short section of pipe to use as washers to set it far enough off the post to clear when operating. A big ole bull will wreck it if he wants to but for small gentle cows it will get the job done. A side gate will be helpful but many people just run them strait through.

Fairly sure that it is a Priefert but I'm not familiar with the extra bar by the locking mechanism.

Have one just like it and it works good. I have been using it for 15 years and it is good for what it was designed for. That is to grab around the neck and hold while you do your thing. Had 1700 lbs Bulls in it and it held them. Had it mounted on 2 telephone poles set 5 deep in the ground.

I used like it for 8-9 years. Never had a problem with it holding but it was too narrow for me. It was mounted to RR ties before I put the pipe in.
headgatea.jpg

How long are your poles? Depending on your operation, a side-gate/way of opening one side would be very beneficial for pulling calves, helping a calf to nurse, and various other things as well.

Latest posts