hay traders

Help Support CattleToday:

dewey

Reaction score
folks i guess you could say this stuff is commical. this is what i seen a couple of days ago but it goes on daily down this way somewheres. i saw a couple of 18 wheelers loaded with some 3x3x8 bales of hay. i looked at the hay you could pull a hand full of brooms weeds out any of the bales. the guy was asking 65 a bale for the hay. when asked what kind of hay it was he said he had no idea it was just some hay they bailed out a field at their dairy in Sulpher Springs Tx. he said it was greener then anything down this way and a cow would eat it thats all that mattered. both of the trucks sat in the same spot almost allday. finally the guy came talked to me said they was ready to dump this junk somewhere did i know anyone that wanted it. i told him no i sure dont. the feller said it was sure hot down here and the humidity was bad plus his AC was out on his truck. he said people was telling him hay was bringing 85 to 100 a roll and bale. i told him that is what some are asking but that doesnt mean people are paying that. he finally ended up selling it to someone but for alot less then he was wanting i magine.

along comes guy number 2 all the way from Joplin Missouri he had some nice bermuda grass hay 3x3x8. it had been tested he offered to show me the paper work but i declined. he was asking 75 a bale for his. this guy sat in the same spot for two days. just about dark i seen him walking towards my boss looking very PO'd. he went to cussing and talking about how people down this way dont know good quality and how ignorant they was etc. he asked if anyone wanted to buy some dam good hay at almost a give away price of 65 dollars. i offered him 50 a bale and he cussed me and told me he would set fire to it before he took a screwing like that. he was telling us hard luck stories etc of how he was just trying to help out ranchers down here and folks was trying to screw him. my boss ended up buying the hay for 55 a bale and i bought the hay from him. the guy cussed for the whole two hours i was unloading the hay. he also said the heat and humidity was bad here. i told him it was kinda nice being it was only 95 that day. he left mad and still cursing. he also told me he had heard hay was bringing 85 to 100 a bale down here. i told him the same thing what folks are asking and what they are getting are two different things.

guy number 3 was from Kansas he was peddling alfalfa by the ton. he was spinning in circles like a chicken with its head cut off. talking loud and fast trying to line up some customers to buy the hay from 140 to 160 a ton. i tried to explain to him folks down here buy hay by the bale and are not used to buying it by the tons. it would be better if he could put a price per bale on it but he told me he couldnt do that. that was about the time i stopped listening to him. i know i am dumb but not stupid so i am not going to argue with an idiot. his hay they was bringing it back on pipe trucks as a back haul instead of dead heading back they was bringing hay back. he finally left so i have no idea how he came out.

feller number 4 finally showed up with a load of nice hay but far from real good was 4x5 round bales. it had a few weeds and big sticks of wood in the hay he called it coastal mix. he was asking 66 per bale for his. he was from north east tx somewheres i cant remember from where? he was gone when i looked up so i guess someone bought his hay.he told me the same thing about the 85 to 100 dollar hay and i told him the same as i told the others. he said he been in the hay business for one day he just bought this load and headed this way and if he sold it he would beback with some more.

we have been in a drought for 3 years are better now and folks are tired of paying big prices for hay and alot will sale out before the have to get a loan just to buy hay. a person has to eat and live they cant tie up everything in a load of hay. folks down this way arent dumb and easy as alot think. ok i am over my rant now. :lol2: just so alot of you traders know some horse folks may pay big dollars but most with cattle wont. dont believe everything you see hear and read hay traders.

Everyone's gonna get rich real quick paying $100 or so for a roll of hay to feed cows. Seems that with any natural disaster or the like, there's always someone trying to make a quick buck off of other peoples problems.

Sort of like selling that $5.00 osb sheeting for $25.00 per sheet when hurricanes are predicted and HD and Lowes runs out. Happens all the time...

Latest posts